Volleyball Has Another Winning Weekend

Fordham Volleyball is off to a great start in 2019 with several early-season wins. (Julia Comerford/The Fordham Ram)

The Fordham Women’s Volleyball team had yet another winning weekend in its preseason play. They are in preparation for its Atlantic 10 competition that begins in less than three weeks. The Rams swept Norfolk State and Rider University in Saturday’s double header in Virginia, and despite great defensive efforts on Saturday, finished the weekend with a loss against the host team, Radford University. 

They dominated their first match of the weekend against Norfolk State, hitting at a .571 percentage, with sixteen kills and no errors in the first set, and staying consistent for the following two sets. 

Junior outside hitter McKenna Lahr led the way for the Rams, tallying up 12 kills across the match, along with clutch defensive digs. Lahr and redshirt junior Olivia Fairchild committed no errors with their strong offensive performances, and were set up by freshman Megan Brzozowski’s 18 assists. 

In their second match of the day against Rider, the Rams took the win 3–1, losing the third set as the Broncs took advantage of Fordham’s nine errors. Lahr had another impressive performance, with 15 kills, hitting .325, with 11 digs, while Fairchild and senior Kaitlin Morley each contributed 14 kills. Brzozowski achieved her second double-double of the year with 26 assists and 12 digs, while sophomore Makaela Tanaka recorded her first of the year with 13 and 11, respectively. The team continued their dominance in blocking, tallying 20 block assists in the match, led by freshman Aria De La Rosa’s five, while both Fairchild and freshman Chloe Pejouan had four each. 

On Saturday, the squad continued to have a powerful blocking performance, with Morley leading the way with five blocks and 13 kills and 10 digs, followed by seven kills and five blocks from De La Rosa and Fairchild. Brzozowski and Tanaka each had strong setting shows, while Williams finished with a match-high 23 digs, and Lahr had 16.

The Rams will head up to Dartmouth University this weekend for matches against Hartford, Hofstra and Dartmouth on Friday and Saturday.