News & Notes

G-RMGCB52

News & Notes for the week of 9/4-9/10

Bacharach Gets Promotion
On Monday, Men’s Water Polo head coach Bill Harris announced that former All-American and national champion at Cal-Berkeley Brian Bacharach would become his co-head coach. Now in his seventh season with the program, Bacharach has spent the last year as the associate head coach and served as an assistant coach for the Rams for the five years prior. “I want to thank Coach Harris and Athletic Director David Roach for this great opportunity,” said Bacharach. “The past six years at Fordham have made me realize what a special place it is and I’m excited to see what the future brings for Fordham water polo.”

O’Mara Earns Weekly Award
After Men’s Water Polo’s dominant weekend at the Navy Invitational in Annapolis, MD, the Mid-Atlantic Water Polo Conference gave their Defensive Player of the Week honor to Fordham’s own Bailey O’Mara. This is the sophomore goalie’s first time earning a weekly award this year. O’Mara made a total of 24 saves in the three Fordham wins, and he even recorded two steals in the victory over Austin College.

Football Honors Legends
Two former Fordham students, Joe Jordan, GSB ‘74, and Jerry Crotty, FCRH ‘73, were the recipients of the Mara Family Award and Walsh Award, respectively, at the Fordham Gridiron Club Dinner in Manhattan on Thursday night. The two awards are given to individuals who have contributed significantly to the Fordham football program. Mara was a staple on the Fordham offensive line in the 1970s, and around the same time, Crotty started for two seasons at the halfback position.

Baseball Holding Tryouts
Fordham Baseball will be holding an open tryout on Monday, Sept. 30 beginning at 7 a.m. at Houlihan Park. Participants must be current Fordham students to try out. Students must also have filled out the Tryout Approval Form & Assumption of Risk packet and have it returned to the Fordham Compliance Office by 12 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 27. The packet and all of its details can be found on the Fordham Athletics website.