Fordham Commuters Discuss Adjustment to Hybrid Schooling

According to Fordham University Commuter Student Services (CSS), the most popular area where commuters enjoy spending time is the lower level McGinley lounge (Courtesy of Instagram.)

With Fordham University’s transition to hybrid learning and new policies centered around ensuring that social distancing guidelines are followed on campus, commuter students have experienced a shift in their interactions with Fordham’s campus. 

While many have opted to learn entirely online for the duration of the semester, many commuter students still come to campus to attend classes, study and interact with the student body, presenting their VitalCheck status at the gate each time.

With the conditions around campus encouraging students to mainly utilize their dorm rooms and other private areas as study spaces, commuter students have been relegated to certain classrooms open for use as socially-distanced study spaces at certain times. The study spaces can be found on Instagram at @fordhamfcrh. The most recent of these posts announces rooms open between 8 a.m. and 9:30 p.m. and the number of seats available in each room. As of Sept. 13, commuter students have a total of 39 seats available, spread across various rooms, on Monday, 58 on Tuesday, 70 on Wednesday, 86 on Thursday and finally 70 on Friday.

Other than these study spaces, other communal spaces have also been used by commuter students. According to Fordham University Commuter Student Services (CSS), the most popular area where commuters enjoy spending time is the lower level McGinley lounge. 

While these spaces are available and widely in use, many students are still choosing to come onto campus less than they usually would.

“So, I’ve been coming to campus everyday,” said Alani Scheel, FCRH ’23, vice president of the Commuting Students Association’s (CSA) sophomore board, “and I’ve definitely noticed how there’s a lot less students, especially in the commuter lounge.”

According to Darren Tha, FCRH ’21, executive vice president of CSA, a majority of the members of the CSA are learning fully off-campus during this semester, and have only recently begun meeting officially this semester. 

“CSA has around four-five small virtual events coming up in the fall semester,” said Tha. “Our annual Thanksgiving event, TGA, is also going to be a hybrid event.”

CSS is also working to provide events for commuter students, both on campus and online. 

“Commuter Student Services understands and values commuters at Fordham and aims to make this semester enjoyable despite the circumstances by connecting to students via our social media platforms and Commuter Assistants,” said Jeffany Acosta, FCRH ’22, marketing and outreach coordinator of CSS. “Commuter Assistants are a team of commuters who serve as mentors and help freshmen transition to life at Fordham by hosting events and interacting with the new students.”

Scheel also commented on the freshman experience, especially that of commuter freshmen. 

“I would say that the experience for [freshmen] this year, though, are a lot different than it has been for [freshmen] in previous years,” said Scheel. “There’s a lot less events on campus, a lot less people in general on campus and just overall I think it’s harder for [freshmen] this year not only socially but also academically,” she said.

Despite the numerous changes on campus for commuter students, there continue to be spaces for the students that do choose to come onto campus to meet and form connections during these difficult times.

“Overall, the University is responding to the concerns of commuters by creating more commuter spaces on campus and ensuring our voices are heard. CSS is focused on keeping commuters engaged and active while keeping our Rams healthy,” said Acosta.

Students interested in learning more about commuting at Fordham can follow CSS’s Instagram and Facebook pages at @fordhamcommutes.