The Fordham Ram

Comments (3)

All The Fordham Ram Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• L

LizzySep 8, 2014 at 12:31 pm

As a current Fordham student,the closing of this fitness center is a real disappointment. The Lombardi fitness center not only contained numerous pieces of effective cardiovascular and resistance equipment (such as its four power racks in exceptional condition) but provided necessary exercise space to accommodate its nearly 8,000 undergraduates (plus additional graduate students, facility and staff). The new fitness facility does not contain nearly enough pieces of cardio equipment or locker space to contain the high volume of students that use it and the new free weight area has been downgraded to exactly what the author described it as, a “narrow hallway”. Furthermore, it is evident that the allocation of funds to the women’s basketball team is the primary motive behind this move, not safety. With a constantly blocked fire exit, weights flying around in a “narrow hallway”, and a single supervisor unable to enforce rules due to a bombardment of students entering the fitness center, safety is a bigger concern than ever. Considering the costly tuition that many students pay and the likely decrease of funds allocated towards fitness facilities, I hope the administration promptly addresses this issue

Reply
  • R

Randy (@raclinton)Sep 4, 2014 at 1:10 pm

Nope. The free weight area was crowded over the summer, I can’t imagine what it will be like during the fall. Someone should go in the free weight area and count how many people could realistically use the equipment at the same time. Any more than 3 or 4 people in there and you can’t walk by to grab a dumb bell or bar bell. People slide the benches out in front of the weight stack and then there’s really no room.

You should head over there next week and take a photo of just how crowded that little space is.

Reply
    • R

Randy (@raclinton)Sep 4, 2014 at 1:14 pm

PS: about being “scolded” by security… nope. Nearly every time I was in the gym over the summer the bench had either been left by the weight stack (in front of the fire exit) or people were using it there. I think I saw a security guard walk back there once.

Reply
Activate Search
With the old gym closed, will the Current Gym Arrangement Work Out?