The Fordham Ram

Comments (0)

All The Fordham Ram Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• J

JamesApr 19, 2017 at 1:33 pm

Can we talk about McShame’s biggest legacy: building the most expensive and extravagant law school building ever built in the midst of plunging law school demand and enrollment. Meanwhile, neglect STEM and graduate business. It’s not like New York is the business center of the world or anything.

Also completely abandon Jesuit values in how it treats its most vital and vulnerable workers (i.e. Adjuncts who make up half of the faculty), while puffing up “jesuit values” for PR and recruiting purposes. Sad!

Reply
  • N

New President PleaseApr 19, 2017 at 12:10 am

Fordham is coming apart at the seams, time for a new president. The university cannot balance it’s books without ripping students off and shorting it’s educators, what kind of university is that ?

Reply
  • G

Gwenyth JackawayApr 16, 2017 at 11:05 am

Reply
  • A

A. ProfessorApr 13, 2017 at 10:17 am

The Article quotes the Board of Trustees’ Robert Daleo: “The Faculty Senate’s decision to hold a vote of no confidence in Father McShane has inappropriately personalized what should be a professional conversation among the administration’s negotiators and the members of the Senate’s Salary and Benefits Committee.” That is rich, coming from the Board of Trustees. They are the ones that have refused to have a professional conversation–a professional give-and take–throughout the entire negotiation process. When the Board can’t get the faculty to agree to raises that barely keep up with inflation they simply IMPOSE THEIR DECISION on the faculty, in clear violation of University Statutes, which require shared governance. No doubt they will do the same when the faculty does not agree to having their health care cut. That is not leadership. It is dictatorship. And it is sad for Fordham.

Reply
  • L

Lexi UtechApr 12, 2017 at 7:46 pm

There are a lot of errors in this article. Why would they be upset about wage increases? I think you mean decreases. Also, McShane has been at Fordham since 2003, not 2013. There are a number of other typos/botched edits. I would have hoped that an article of such importance would be error-free.

Reply
  • A

Adios McShaneApr 12, 2017 at 7:35 pm

Father McShane completely screwed the graduate school of business, he overtly skimmed it to blow money back to Rose Hill. Anyone owning a Fordham MBA has to know that the opportunity to build a respectable program is done. One’s value in a Fordham MBA is minimal and it is not known or respected in the marketplace. This as evidenced by the fact it has less than a 100 students both full and part-time now, they struggle to gain employment in a booming MBA job market. When McShane became president Fordham had one of the largest part-time MBA programs in the world, it ranked 9th-13th for part-time and was somewhat respected by NYC’s employers. He then ballooned the enrolment and was asked by the dean and head of career services to reduce intake to enable better hiring and achieve a 650 GMAT average, he never even responded back (that year it made 18 million beyond the big skim). He also brought in deadheads as deans to manage the school, principally the acting dean twice came from the faculty of arts for crying out loud. The current dean was appointed from the undergrad without even a dean search, the Gabelli merger was like the elementary school taking over the high school, it was an insult. They then tried telling everyone that the soon to be renovated law school would be the Gabelli School, turns out it is a shared facility and library, GSB got office space and a trading room. More than $150 million of profit came out of GBA from 1998-2008 plus skimming and the school could not get facilities. This sums it up http://poetsandquants.com/2014/02/18/how-one-year-masters-programs-remade-fordham/ . This was a short term trick that all schools have emulated to get revenue, it fully destroyed Fordham’s MBA program.

GSB graduate school now has an obscene amount of 1 year MS programs (12) offered primarily to Asian students, it’s media management program is down to 19 students. Does or did McShane care….hell no !! Frankly I view McShane as a crook and a fraud as president, he turned Fordham into a better Scranton while NYU rolled up the NY brand. He exploited what an MBA degree represents and when the market went south in 2008 Fordham was left as a has been, one that never reinvested in their program or cared, a flight to quality occurred leaving GBA high and dry. Now they are granting GSB MS degrees in the summer time to partner programs for one months work in NYC for 15k, partner schools like FEFA in Serbia, or one in Costa Rica. GSB has become a sad hooker and it will only kill the school over time. The Chinese are wising up now and have options like Syracuse, CUNY etc. Given that Fordham did not build a real graduate b school facility they have zero commitment, they only care about the revenue which will die. It is a for profit school exploiting the very notion of a graduate degree !

Reply
  • D

DarioApr 12, 2017 at 6:03 pm

Excellent move McShane’s time has come and gone, he is now a hindrance to building a real university, one where the emphasis should be on academics as opposed to social justice ad nausea. He has missed opportunities left and right especially in NYC’s tech ecosystem. He absolutely blew this opportunity http://www1.nyc.gov/office-of-the-mayor/news/494-10/mayor-bloomberg-nyc-venture-fellows-program , it never even reached the business school, Fordham was replaced in 2013 as partner. Imagine if Fordham was able to brand around this, these were leading tech companies in NYC.

Reply
Activate Search
Faculty Senate To Hold Vote of No Confidence