The Fordham Ram

Comments (13)

All The Fordham Ram Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• N

Naomi NeoDec 22, 2015 at 1:26 pm

The issue at Fordham is not one that Father McShane can change on his own. The racism, bias, and potential hate crimes that have occurred on-campus at both the Lincoln Center and Rose Hill recently as well as the bias incident involving a black student in 2012 have all occurred under the ever watchful eye of Jeffrey Gray, Christopher Rodgers and Kimberly Russell.

As some of you may or may not be aware, Spring 2015 brought to light the bigotry of Kimberly Russell against staff and student-staff. Whether these allegations are true is neither here nor there but rather the empowerment of this potentially damaging environment by the representation of Student Affairs across Fordham University. The off-campus racist chanting of early December occurred with a student-athlete off-campus home overseen by none other than Jeffrey Gray.

I implore the community and alumni to really examine how Jeffrey Gray, Christoper Rodgers and Kimberly Russell have created a vice-grip on Fordham athletics and the community. Nothing will change unless Fordham truly establishes a task-force committed to diversity hiring (take a look at the % of black or latino/a directors at Fordham University.) It is difficult to create a culture of tolerance if administration does not try to hire qualified underrepresented populations.

This is by no means the fault of Father McShane – he inherited this and Fordham has thrived even in periods of lower enrollment numbers because recruitment does not fail to meet target numbers more than one semester in a row. For McShane it is a “if it’s not broken don’t fix it” when it comes to senior leadership hitting target numbers and revenue. In 2013, Fordham’s 990 filings depicted that Jeffrey Gray earned $346,027 plus $75,000 additional for “other compensation.” This is a private school that is currently not paying the Jesuit president a significant salary. Bringing in another president to add on more salary is not the answer.

Evaluate the monies worth of some of these higher officers.

Reply
  • J

James DemetriadesDec 7, 2015 at 9:29 pm

As an recent alumni, who graduated last year, I was vice-president of PRIDE alliance and of the Mime’s and Mummers, and a diversity peer leader, Father Mcshane was very present to students as was most of the administration. Further Mcshane invites conversation and ensures that the university has outlets to discuss and explore issues facing us on campus. I can’t help but notice that when we held diversity discussions through OMA three or four students showed up. Apathy of the student body is the greatest challenge Fordham has, Mcshane is a fine voice and a fine leader.

Reply
  • K

Kim Jung IlDec 3, 2015 at 1:49 pm

I watched a documentary on North Korea and I thought to myself ”holy shit this is like Fordham in many ways”. Fordham may not be a totalitarian state but it limits expression, intimidates and more importantly constantly puts out this Jesuit greatness propaganda ! There is also this ongoing theme of things are going so well when in fact rankings are falling and the university has financial issues. It is all about sucking in kids parents for Rose Hill undergrad, we find out later the reality.

Reply
  • P

PaschelNov 30, 2015 at 2:52 pm

Saw this, maybe Bill should find another blog to post on if he continues to be so narrow minded ! I absolutely agree that McShane should step down, he is too divisive and his sole concern is the Jesuits not our degrees. The slogan ”Fordham New Yorks Jesuit School” really limits applications, I also detest being overly painted Jesuit, I could not care less and frankly feel they are stealing my degree away.

Reply
  • S

SandyNov 27, 2015 at 4:40 pm

Dear Bill Poppe FCRH ’64,

Where do you get off telling everyone to leave the university when they have alternative views to yours ? Seriously you graduated in 1964 ! McShane is now a deadbeat president and the university clings to a dormant past instead of looking to the future, perhaps that favors you but not me. Reality is that the school is unknown outside of NYC and maybe marginally known within. Fordham could be so much more as a university but it is held back by small mindedness, which by your comments you fall in line with. It is ridiculously expensive given current ranking and job recruiting unknown, even law the beacon of Fordham is under budget and job placement problems.

Reply
    • B

Bill poppeNov 27, 2015 at 5:59 pm

Sandy , if Fordham is so unknown, how is it it that members of the current student enrollment come from almost every state in the union? In addition, the state with the third largest number is California. In addition, Fordham has leading graduates in virtually every field, including business, the arts, politics and the military. Maybe you should leave if you feel Fordham is so bad.

Reply
  • S

SandyNov 25, 2015 at 3:43 pm

Forget about all this moron racist stuff as it is kids or a juvenile undergrad prank. More importantly and great to hear is the removal of McShane as president. His worth is that of a figure head at this stage and frankly his time has come and gone, the university is not in good shape. I would also say that Fordham is not a real university, it is simply a story an over glorified Jesuit one at that with large budget issues. It is also operates like a third world country in allot of ways, reality is it is now ranked 66th and does not have the endowment to compete for quality students with large scholarship tuition cuts. I fully expect next year it will rank in the 70’s ! McShane has been robbing Paul to pay Peter and avoided the reality of where the educational market is, that being STEM which Fordham is woeful in. At the grad school level Fordham is miserably ranked and having trouble attracting students. At the end of the day Fordham is just a small liberal arts college overly playing the religious card which turns off potential quality students.

Reply
    • B

Bill poppeNov 26, 2015 at 11:07 am

Father McShane has done wonders for Fordham. He has spearheaded developments at Rose Hill and the Lincoln Center. He is a dynamic leader , speaker and innovator . Ask anyone who works with him and they are in awe of his vision and wonderful interaction with students and faculty. If Fordham was so bad why has the quality of students increased year after year and the number of applicants skyrocketed each year as well.
      Maybe Sandy you should leave Fordham and seek another institution.
      Bill Poppe FCRH ’64

Reply
  • B

BrianNov 24, 2015 at 12:33 am

During my time at Fordham, Fr. McShane was present in numerous facets of campus life; perhaps that is different now (although I can’t say one way or the other). I am unsure of how relevant that is to a President’s competence, but irrespective of that, I would be surprised and saddened if his presence has diminished in recent years.

I think the article might be better served if it suggested ideas for the University community to promote diversity, acceptance, and social justice. It kind of read as a piece that was a bit all over the place.

On a separate note: MJ, what does that have to do with anything? That’s an ad hominem criticism on the author and has nothing to do with the point of her piece. That’s a pretty juvenile attempt at undermining the author’s argument without any sort of engagement.

Reply
  • A

A. Kappapsi, CBA'84Nov 19, 2015 at 10:50 am

The author did not make her case in this opinion as she did not establish a foundation for her opinion. The author also is of the narrow-minded opinion that the university exists ONLY for those present – as if the ever-changing student body should dictate university policy! If that were the case, Fordham would be a liberal, left-wing, socialist breeding ground “go to” school like many others (NYU, Columbia) in New York City. The author chose to attend “The Jesuit University of New York.”

The author attempted to compare the “situation” at “Fordham” (have there been incidents at other campuses of just Rose Hill?) to other universities and Fr. McShane to other presidents, but failed. While she felt the need to make her call for action clear by stating that she was not calling for the removal of Fr. McShane, she did just that. Making no opinion on what she would like to see done, makes her piece a “hit job.” Calling Fr. McShane a “no show job” president is incorrect and insulting to him and all. She knows not of what she speaks.

I think it is important for students at Fordham to remember that they are passing through, and that the university has existed before their time and will continue to exist after their short stay. As an alumni with a son on campus, and with the benefit of life experience and wisdom on my side, I can assure her that Fr. McShane is a great president, worthy of the office he holds.

It is the responsibility of the administration to create a policy, enforce that policy, and foster an environment that does not permit, or appear to condone, racial (or other) intolerance. Students are part of that equation. When they witness – and THEY have – any incident that would violate this policy, THEY have an obligation to act to STOP IT!

Where was the author in calling out the student that brought shame to the university when she illegally reported a attempted rape right off campus!
    On with your studies now…

Reply
  • B

Bill Poppe FCRH'64Nov 18, 2015 at 12:04 pm

I think blaming the administration for not responding adequately to the these terrible racial slurs is ridiculous. Do you want Fr. McShane to patrol the dorms to catch the idiots that did these horrible acts ? Maybe Cate should find another school to attend.

Reply
  • M

MJNov 18, 2015 at 11:18 am

The Opinion piece writer describes herself as “Angry liberal feminist killjoy” (sic) on another website.

Reply
Activate Search
Should Fordham Have a New President?