The Fordham Ram

Comments (7)

All The Fordham Ram Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• H

Heide JonassenOct 28, 2016 at 8:00 pm

I have to say I feel this report is very fair..though understand the point about the headline. This has been a painful learning experience and a reminder that no one, not even someone who has pride in having been an activist and advocate for diverse voices my entire life in the theater, is immune to what I might call EWLAPA..
    Entitled White Liberal Assumptive/Presumptive Arrogance. My biggest regret is having caused this student, and potentially other students, pain and feelings of non safety. I think the issue of intent and impact is an important one to open up in general.

Reply
    • B

Ben Arisen (@BrightLeaf88)Oct 30, 2016 at 3:10 pm

That’s victimhood culture at work. A small minority of people being offended by anything is now considered a legitimate argument that it is wrong. The regressive left is responsible, and many who fight hard for tolerance are now realizing that even they are not immune to the culture of critique they have created. More people are realizing every day that a time must come when we say enough is enough. It’s time to stop worshiping every person’s feelings, because if we are honest with ourselves, it is clear that some people simply get offended by inane things.

Reply
  • F

Frustrated FCLC AlumnusOct 27, 2016 at 3:08 pm

It is extremely condescending the way you phrase the headline: “Student Reports Professor for Accusing…” instead of, you know “Professor Accuses Student of Falling into a Racial Stereotype.” As if you’re trying to divert the responsibility of the professor’s own actions and trying to imply that the student is somehow to blame for being incorrect or overly sensitive. Pretty mediocre journalism. I see a lot of redirecting of blame through language on this paper. Hopefully these student journalists will not continue this practice in the professional world if this becomes their careers.

Reply
    • E

EmmaOct 27, 2016 at 3:29 pm

On the contrary, I like the article doesn’t jump to suppositions of guilt and says exactly what happened: a student reported a professor for her comment. No twisting, just facts. Kudos to writers.

Reply
  • R

RoseOct 27, 2016 at 2:38 pm

I don’t think she should be fired but I do agree that this was inappropriate. She’s right in her stance that the students had time to do the assignment and she’s well within her right to not give the extension but that’s it. It’s not up to her to tell him he’s “fitting into a stereotype.”

Reply
  • B

Ben Arisen (@BrightLeaf88)Oct 26, 2016 at 5:44 pm

I really hope Heide Jonassen is not fired for this. While she came off sounding like she was accusing Dossett of being a stereotype, it is clear that her intent with the message was one of anti-racism and concern. We are taught not to claim that we “don’t see color,” and not to pretend that the biases and stereotypes in our society do not exist, because they clearly do. What this professor did was address the issue head-on, acknowledging the stereotype that she and others might subconsciously perceive, and expressed a clear desire that such perception would not take place. I agree that it was probably unnecessary to bring it up at that time, considering the sensitivity of the issue and the fact that it was not directly related to the request for extension, but we should criticize Jonassen on her imprudence and not on the matter of her concern.

Reply
Activate Search
Student Reports Professor for Accusing Him of Falling Into a Racial Stereotype