USG Candidates Take the Stage to Debate

By Erica Scalise

United Student Government (USG) hosted its annual Meet the Candidates Night where candidates briefly outlined their platforms for the upcoming USG election.

Six of the eight vice presidential candidates are running uncontested. The two contested positions are for Vice President of Sustainability and Vice President of Student Life.

Hayley Coughlin, FCRH ‘19 and Gabrielle Perez FCRH ‘21, both running for VP of Sustainability, shared similar ideas despite their grade differences.

Both Coughlin and Perez want to increase vegetarian and recycling options on campus. Perez’ platform is rooted in her long term goal of making the Fordham Flea-Market a permanent and lasting program to promote sustainability at Fordham.

Coughlin rooted her focus in better recycling practices. “We are really lacking compared to other schools. Over half of our waste goes to the landfill,” said Coughlin, a reducetarian and vegan. “We throw too much away.”

Ashley Qamar, GSB ’20, candidate for Vice President of Student Life and Class Senator is running against Selin Berberoglu, FCRH ’19 for Vice President of Student Life.

Qamar, GSB ’20, is focused on promoting diversity and hopes to strengthen the connection between local high schools to form a larger community and support system. She also proposed that Fordham have some of its masses in Spanish in order to encourage community relations within the Bronx.

“Fordham University is to the Bronx what the Forbidden City is to China,” said Qamar.

Berberoglu is a commuter with a focus on increasing commuter-friendly events on campus.

“We feel like we just go to class and then go home,” said Berberoglu who wants to provide greater commuter accessibility to campus clubs and events.

Beyond this, a range of topics were covered. Bridging the gap between the university and the Bronx community was at the forefront of issues discussed.

Both freshman candidates Carsyn Fisher, FCRH ’21 and Carlos Rico, FCRH ‘21 advocated for better community relations between the Fordham community and the Bronx.

“I want to work to repair the power dynamic that lies in separation between us and the surrounding community,” said Fisher.

Rico emphasized his appreciation for the Urban Plunge program which he credited his happiness at Fordham to moving in early for the program.

“Every time people ask me, ‘Why come to Fordham?’ I bring up the Urban Plunge.” Rico said this aided him in exploring what it means to be a white-passing Latino male.

Roderick Perez, GSB ’20 discussed “Bridging the Gap”, the popular slogan that has circulated around USG this past year. Perez addressed that the notion of a gap exists between Fordham students and administration, Fordham students and USG and Fordham College of Rose Hill and the Gabelli School of Business, as well as Fordham as an institution and the Bronx community as a whole.

Olivia Quartell, FCRH ‘21, VP of Operations, also called for bridging the gap, specifically between the university and the Bronx community.

“I think a lot of the time we look to Manhattan when really there’s a lot of this going on in the Bronx. I know that we do a lot with Special Olympics in Manhattan but we do not involve the Bronx and I’m working to change that,” said Quartell.

Quartell mentioned various coalitions and initiatives she hopes to work with in the Bronx such as the Bronx Volunteer Coalition, Sustainable South Bronx, and Bronx Hot Sauce, a local and sustainable hot sauce company run by Bronx residents.

Students also voiced concerns for greater amenities and facilities on campus. Alexander He, FCRH ’21, said he hopes to be a part of an initiative that will help to install water bottle filling stations in dorms.

“Some initiatives will take several years so a younger candidate would be beneficial,” said Perez, speaking on behalf of freshmen candidates.

Some of the candidates also advocated for improvements within the Fordham curriculum including a mentorship program for Gabelli proposed by Amanda D’Antone, GSB ’19, Vice President of GSB.

Debra Chieco, candidate for senator, FCRH ’21, called for a “mentorship program between under and upperclassmen for people who are undecided.”

Patrick Fox, FCRH ’20, senator, advocated for increased opportunities for humanities majors.

“I want to increase opportunities for research especially for non science majors,” said Fox. “I’ve noticed that Gabelli students have an easier time finding internships at career fairs and I want to change that.”

Some of the candidates also addressed problems within USG itself.

Mae Symmonds, FCRH ’20, voiced concerns that only two people are running unopposed while Kaylee Wong, FCRH ’20, executive vice president and Connor Sullivan, FCRH ’20, executive president discussed their concern, as the executive ticket, that USG is not inclusive.

“Once you are on USG you have the tendency to think that everyone knows what you’re doing,” said Wang.

Brian Reardon, FCRH ’18, president of USG asked Sullivan and Wong how they plan to creatively discuss issues with the administration while accurately communicating to the student body.

“I think it’s important to have a certain level of empathy to understand both sides because it’s never good to go into a situation being so over something or closed off to hearing what the other person has to say,” said Sullivan. “I don’t think that qualifies as good leadership.”

The vote for Vice President of Sustainability and Vice President of Student Life opens at 9 a.m. on Wednesday, April 10 and closes at 5 p.m. on Friday, April 13.