New London Centre Provides Opportunity for Expansion

Fordham University’s new Centre for students studying abroad in London. (Courtesy of Fiona Danyko/The Fordham Ram)

By Hannah Gonzalez

Fordham’s new London Centre opened this fall, bringing study abroad students to a new facility and location in the Clerkenwell neighborhood of London.

The move will grant Fordham’s study abroad program the capacity for expansion that was not provided by the previous location at Heythrop College, according to Richard Salmi, S.J., head of the London Centre.

“There’s a lot of opportunity to use it in ways we couldn’t before,” said Salmi.

As the closure of the Heythrop College coincided with the continued growth of the Fordham Study Abroad Program, the establishment of a new London Centre will grant the program freedom to grow the student population, expand course offerings and host new programs and seminars.

“I’m excited for Fordham to have a place in London that’s ours,” said Salmi.

The updated facilities of the London Centre provides students in the study abroad program with a place to congregate and study, according to Charlie Arnedt, FCRH ’20.

“The London campus’ stellar facilities will definitely provide an exceptional learning environment, so studying abroad won’t just be a thinly veiled European vacation,” said Arnedt.

Situated a mile from historic markers such as the River Thames and St. Paul’s Cathedral, the new Centre also provides students with access to other parts of London. The facility is within walking distance of several different railway stations, including the London Underground and King’s Cross St. Pancras.

“I hope to use the campus as a jumping ground to getting to know all the sites of London,” said Fiona Danyko, FCLC ’20. “Hopefully the access to the museums will encourage me to bring the knowledge into my classes.”

Bringing students into London is just one way that the study abroad program will continue to link its academics to greater global consciousness, according to John Harrington, academic dean of the London Centre. The Centre is also looking to foster connections with alumni currently living in the city.

The London chapter of the Fordham alumni network meets at the new London Centre. Additionally, London-based alumni across fields ranging from social science to business will be invited to speak in classes.

“Fordham is an international university, and it has international alumni,” said Harrington.

Partnerships with other universities across Europe will also allow the Centre to continue to build upon its global focus. This term’s upcoming exchange programs and collaborations in the classroom provide an example of this.

“I have a marketing class that’s being taught with the St. Louis in Madrid,” said Salmi.

Using Skype, London Centre business students will work alongside Madrid students in a class on global sustainability. At the end of the term the class will travel to Madrid to present their work.

Arnedt said he foresees that the classes he is taking that will likewise foster a broader, more cosmopolitan understanding.

“I’m taking three Fordham classes and one class with the University of Westminster, and I’m especially excited for my 20th Century European history class and my Rock and Pop Music Since WWII class,” said Arnedt. “Both of those classes are with Fordham, and both look promising in terms of content and out of class excursions to London.”

According to Harrington, course offerings have expanded to keep up with enrollment. By keeping class sizes small and the topics varied, classes aim to both meet Fordham requirements and be of interest to students who desire to learn more about Europe.

“We hope to grow in ways that make it much more educational,” said Harrington.

Going forward, Harrington said that the London Centre will continue to expand now that the new facilities have the capacity to do so.

“We’re going to add a graduate program, as well as recruit students at other Jesuit campuses in America,” said Harrington.

The London Centre’s official ceremonial opening will take place on Oct. 30.