Tuff City Styles Thrives on Belmont

Tuff City, located on the corner of Belmont Avenue and Fordham Road, is celebrating its 25th anniversary. (Stephanie Gentle/The Fordham Ram)

By Stephanie Gentle

New York City is home to hundreds of tattoo parlors that draw artists and enthusiasts from all over. Though tattoo parlors were legalized in 1997, the Bronx’s Tuff City Styles, Fordham’s neighbor, has thrived for over two decades as a tattoo parlor and spray paint shop. This year, it celebrates 25 years of business in the Bronx.

Tuff City built its client base through a history of Bronx graffiti art. The parlor’s founder and owner, MED, was a Bronx graffiti writer through the 1980s. He tagged his first subway car in 1984 and quickly became known for his colorful, elaborate pieces. Additionally, he began tattooing out of his apartment – when tattoo parlors were still outlawed in the city.

With hard work, determination and a loyal client base, MED opened Tuff City in 1993. However, he stayed loyal to his street art roots, with the shop’s artists all having backgrounds in graffiti. Current manager and piercer Devyn Brick said even at the start of the business, the art was always at the forefront.

“The tattooing and graffiti were equally important,” he said.

Since its establishment, the shop has experienced massive success and worldwide recognition, which is why it is widely considered a Bronx cultural landmark.

Perhaps the most distinctive thing about Tuff City is its appearance, both curb appeal and inner design. The mural on the Belmont Avenue side of the building consists of a Yankees jersey clad, full sleeved artist holding a tattoo gun to a subway car – a representation of the shop’s two preferred art forms.

Paying homage to his father, who worked in NYC transit, MED outfitted the interior of the shop with Bronx subway cars, which act as private tattoo stations. The shop’s ambience is very relaxed despite the artistic jumble, which is important for the client experience.

Brick explained that day to day operations for Tuff City includes staple artists and new faces. While they have eight artists currently on staff, they often have guest artists from around the world who come in for short periods of time to do pieces at the shop.

Their most recent guest artist was Manolo, who came all the way from Spain to visit the shop and collaborate with the other artists. Brick said he believes the shop’s global influence is massively important to its success, especially in a borough that he said is often underappreciated.
“Tuff City is one of the coolest things in the Bronx,” he said.

Furthermore, Tuff City is a family run shop, and the owner plans on keeping the business in the family.

“Tuff City will hopefully pass down through generations,”said Brick.

Brick said Tuff City has been a cultural landmark in the Bronx, and plans to continue its work.

“We’ve been here for a long time,” she said. “I think we’re a staple, and we’re not planning on going anywhere.”

According to Brick, the biggest challenge for Tuff City has been the other tattoo shops in the area, such as Red Dragon Tattoo and Suite 206ix.

“Even though we have years of experience, and we’re the best at what we do, people will still go to these other places because they’re cheaper,” she said. “You can get a $100 full sleeve somewhere else, but it just won’t be as good as ours.”

However, Tuff City has more name recognition and reputability than other shops in the area, and this gives credibility to its landmark reputation.

When asked about how Tuff City stays relevant and competes with other shops, Brick said that Tuff City’s customers are certainly their biggest asset.

“Word of mouth is for sure the most effective way to market when it comes to tattoos and piercings,” said Brick. “When you do good work like we do, word gets around and that’s why we’re known by artists around the world.”

She also said the customers are the best part of the job.

“Every day I meet so many people and that’s probably the coolest part about doing piercings,” she said. “It’s the best when someone comes in and says, ‘My friend told me to come to Devyn.’”

According to Brick, Fordham students make up a large portion of Tuff City’s client base.

“I love Fordham students,” said Brick.

She estimated 60 percent of the shop’s piercings are done on Fordham students and at least 30 percent of the tattoos done at Tuff City are for Fordham undergraduates.

Laura Rathjen, GSB ’20, said she has had multiple positive experiences at the shop.

“Tuff City is a very easy going place and it’s the go-to spot for tattoos and piercings in the area,” she said. “The shop is very clean and organized, and the design of the shop is really cool inside.”

Likewise, Julia Phillips, FCRH ’20, had good things to say about Tuff City.

“I instantly loved the aesthetic and my artist, Phil… I felt welcomed and comfortable when I walked in,” she said.

Both Rathjen and Phillips said they would go back to Tuff City for future pieces.