USG discusses Pre-Dental Club, Murray-Weigel and “Earth Hour”

(Photo courtesy of USG)

By Kristen McNerney

The United Student Government (USG) Senate meeting on Thursday, Jan. 31, focused on proposals for the upcoming semester.

Pre-Dental Club, a formerly-active organization looking to come back to campus, received senate approval.

A representative for the club said its mission is to serve students on the pre-dental path and to assist them with the dental school application process, as well as provide research opportunities on campus.

A pre-law proposal discussed by senators Danielle Terracciano, FCRH ’19, and Dean Corrado, GSB ’19 , was also approved.

Terracciano said the proposal would supplement the already existing Pre-Law Society and provide a direct relationship between those who have completed law school applications and those who wish to apply.

USG also discussed revamping its Instagram by consolidating all four class year pages into one account. Vice President of Communications Roderick Perez, GSB ’20, said there will be a social media contest in which five students each have the opportunity to win a $20 Amazon gift card by following the account, liking a post and tagging three friends.

Vice president of Student Life Ashley Qamar, GSB ’20, discussed Diversity Action Coalition’s (DAC) plans to make students more aware of gender-neutral and single-occupancy bathrooms. She said DAC will publish fliers with a list of these locations on campus.

Executive President Connor Sullivan, FCRH ’19, discussed his meeting with Rev. Joesph M. McShane, S.J., president of the university and Senior Vice President for Student Affairs Jeffrey Gray regarding the closing of Murray-Weigel Hall to students. The decision remains in place in light of credible Jesuit abuse accusations, Sullivan said.

From the Commuting Students’ Association, President Vanessa Reyes, FCRH ’19, spoke about upcoming events for Black History Month.

She said that on Feb. 15, there will be a Nike event, and on Feb. 25, a speaker is coming. Other events will be held throughout the month.

Executive Vice President Kaylee Wong, GSB ’20, said the Fordham Dance Marathon (FDM) will be held on March 8, with the “Rams Got Talent” talent show during FDM.

From the Office for Student Involvement, Dean Arcuri said that the new floor for the student lounge in McGinley has arrived and it is currently being installed.

Stephen Esposito, also from the Office for Student Involvement, said that an application for Fordham University Emerging Leaders (FUEL) is now open to students on OrgSync.

Senator Devin D’Agostino, FCRH ’20, said a proposal was drafted to bring “earth hour” to campus on March 30, during which students turn off all non-essential lights for an hour and meet in St. Rose’s Garden on campus to raise awareness about energy usage.