News & Notes

G-RMGCB52

By Dylan Balsamo

Women’s Hoops Has New Members of Squad
Fordham Women’s Basketball has announced its recruiting class for 2020, and it consists of two members: guard Riley DeRubbio and forward Maranda Nyborg. DeRubbio is a 5’8” guard from Washington, Pennsylvania and has two First Team All-Section honors to go with her four varsity letters. Nyborg, at 6’3”, hails from Bethel, Connecticut, and is a four-year letter winner at Bethel High School with two All-Conference honors. “Since we have no seniors, the additions of Maranda and Riley will add depth to our bench,” said Fordham head coach Stephanie Gaitley. “We’re excited to welcome them to the Fordham family!”

Nine Football Players Honored by Patriot League
Upon the announcement of the All-Patriot League First Team honors for the 2019 football season, nine Fordham Rams were awarded: junior linebacker Glenn Cunningham, junior running back Zach Davis, sophomore quarterback Tim DeMorat, sophomore linebacker Ryan Greenhagen, junior kicker Andrew Mevis and junior offensive lineman Nick Zakelj. The program also saw three of its players named to the Second Team: sophomore offensive lineman Phil Saleh, junior running back Trey Sneed and junior defensive lineman Ellis Taylor.

Men’s Soccer Announces Recruits
The 2020 early signing period has come to a close, and Fordham Men’s Soccer head coach Carlos Aquista has announced four players that will be joining his program. The players joining the Rams are Sebastian Fabrin (Hellerup, Denmark/Øregård Gymnasium), Galen Flynn (West Hartford, Conn./Kingswood Oxford), Max Rogers (Sydney, Australia/St. Ignatius College) and Gianluca Sciortino (Maple, Ontario/St. Joan of Arc). “This group of young men will play a big role this fall and beyond,” Aquista said. “We believe this new crop of young talent possess the attributes essential to build upon our strong team culture accomplished this past year.”

Football Has Three Academic Honorees
Three members of the Fordham Football team, the day after being commended and awarded for their honors on the field, were also named to the Academic All-Patriot League for their performances as students. The three honorees were junior linebacker Glenn Cunningham, sophomore linebacker Ryan Greenhagen and junior offensive lineman Nick Zakelj. Cunningham, a native of Glastonbury, Connecticut, is an economics major with a 3.42 GPA, Greenhagen, from Sparta, New Jersey, is undeclared with a 3.76 GPA and Zakelj, hailing from Broadview Heights, Ohio, is a finance major with a 3.64 GPA.