News & Notes

Aquista Camp Dates Decided
Fordham Men’s Soccer head coach Carlos Aquista announced the dates on Tuesday for the 2020 Spring ID Clinics and Prospect ID Residential Camp for the Carlos Aquista Soccer School. The Spring ID Clinics will hold its first session on March 30 and its second one on May 31, while the dates for the Summer Prospect ID Residential Camp will be July 24-26. The Aquista-run camps and clinics are geared towards high school-age students and will focus on both individual and team development. The cost for both of the single dates will be $100 and will begin at 6:30 p.m. The three day camp will be $625 for the residential option and $400 for the commuter option. Aquista has just finished his first year as the head coach at Fordham.

Aughinbaugh Named to Top 100
The Softball America Top 100 College Players in anticipation for the 2020 season was released on Thursday, and Fordham senior pitcher/utility player Madie Aughinbaugh was listed at the 99th position on their list. She is one of just three athletes on the list from the Atlantic 10 Conference, one of 33 pitchers and one of just nine utility players to make the cut of 100 players. This is just the second year that Softball America has put out the list. Last season, Aughinbaugh became just the fourth Fordham Ram in program history to win A-10 Pitcher of the Year.

Carter Named All-American
Dequece Carter. a freshman wide receiver for Fordham Football. was named to the 2019 Third Team Phi Steele FCS Freshman All-America Team, as was announced last week. He was one of five players from the Patriot League to be named to the honorable team. This season, Carter caught 53 passes, good for 723 yards, along with five touchdowns. While placing second for the Rams in receptions, he led the squad in receiving yards and receiving touchdowns. With his receiving yards and receptions, Carter set the freshman school record. He was fourth in the Patriot League in receiving yards and sixth in receiving yards per game.

Sports World Mourns Kobe
On Sunday afternoon, it was learned first through a TMZ news report that former Los Angeles Laker basketball star Kobe Bryant tragically died at the age of 41 in a helicopter crash just outside of Los Angeles, California. Alongside Bryant in the helicopter were eight other people, including Bryant’s 13-year old daughter Gianna, as the helicopter was on the way to a travel basketball game in which Gianna was to play and Bryant was to coach. The identities of the rest of the victims were not released by police reports but were learned through families confirming their deaths.