IT Presents to USG Senate

(Courtesy of United Student Government)

This past Thursday, Feb. 6, 2020, the United Student Government (USG) talked about Information Technology, sustainable fashion and upcoming campus activities.

Judy Rothschild, assistant director of Student Technology Services, made her semester visit to the Senate. Rothschild said that Information Technology (IT) is in the process of hosting undergraduate technology workshops once a month at each campus. This month’s workshop focuses on intermediate excel, she said, and will be held on Wednesday, Feb. 12 in Dealy 105.

Senators voiced concerns about losing their OneDrive accounts after graduation. Rothschild said the university’s contract with Google made it impossible for alumni to infinitely keep their OneDrives, but they will be available to students for at least one semester after graduation.

Senators also expressed concerns about IT access for students, primarily freshmen who might not know how to use the services available. Rothschild clarified that information is under the “Tech Help” tab on the homepage of MyFordham, and that by clicking “Have a Problem,” students are directed to a page where they can fill out a request for help. She also said IT takes walk-in appointments in McGinley 229.

Vice President of Sustainability, Margaret Tattersfield, FCRH ’22, shared a statement from the Sustainability Committee regarding fast fashion.

“[Fast fashion is] an approach to the design, creation and marketing of clothing fashions that emphasize making fashion trends quickly and cheaply available to consumers,” read the statement.

Tattersfield said that fast fashion contributes to large amounts of textile waste and clothing that is sent to landfills, as well as inequitable trends in production, such as textile workers earning roughly three dollars a day. The statement suggests the rejection of brands such as Forever 21 and Victoria’s Secret, and encourages shopping sustainable brands such as Alternative Apparel, Pact and Patagonia.

Fordham Flea has also been successful, said Tattersfield and Jonathon Eng, FCRH ’23. The group is responsible for selling clothes on campus and for advertising student hand-me-downs on social media for other students to buy for modest prices. A clothing collection will be held on Feb. 19.

The USG Senate elected Vice President of Health and Security, Emma Budd, FCRH ’20, to the position of election commissioner. The role includes ensuring the fairness of USG elections and making sure the election code is followed.

Campus Activities Board is hosting a variety of activities this week for Valentine’s Day, said delegate Isabella Albani, GSB ’20. Students can write secret valentines to their friends in McGinley on Wednesday Feb. 12 from 12 p.m. to 3 p.m.

The Senate selected Asian Cultural Exchange as Club of the Month, and Alex Chavez, GSB ’23, was awarded Senator of the Month.