News & Notes

Women’s Tennis Has Two Honorees
While Fordham Rams’ junior Arina Taluyenko was awarded the Atlantic 10 Conference’s Women’s Tennis Player of the Week award, as was announced on Tuesday, her teammate, freshman Weronika Pociej, was given the Conference’s Rookie of the Week award for the same period of time. While this is Taluyenko’s second consecutive week as the honoree, this weekly award is the first for Pociej in her collegiate career. This week, both Taluyenko and Pociej went 2-0 in singles and 1-0 at doubles, combining the women’s tennis squad’s two matches against Stony Brook and Army in West Point, New York.

Baseball Starts Ranked Second In the release of the Atlantic 10 Conference’s preseason baseball coach’s poll for the 2020 season on Tuesday afternoon, the Fordham baseball program was picked by the league’s coaches to finish second for this season out of thirteen teams. The Rams, with their two first place votes, were one of just three teams in the conference to receive first place votes, with the other two being VCU (the projected conference winner) with eight and Dayton with three. Fordham is the defending champion of the conference, as the squad took home the Atlantic 10 Championship and appeared in the NCAA Tournament.

Carey Named Rookie of Week
In her opening weekend of playing competitive collegiate softball, freshman Amanda Carey was named by the Atlantic 10 Conference as their first Rookie of the Week award recipient of the season, as was announced by the league on Monday. Appearing in all five games that the Rams played on their opening weekend at the Houston Invitational, Carey was an absolute standout, starting in four of the games and finishing with a line of .5000/.571/1.250. The highlight of her weekend was the two-run home run she hit in the opening game against Valparaiso, a matchup the Rams ended up losing 5-4.

DeWolfe Gets Rookie Honor
Not to be outdone by the two other Fordham Rams freshman to receive a first year award this season, the freshman standout of Fordham Women’s Basketball, Anna DeWolfe, was awarded the Atlantic 10 Conference’s Rookie of the Week award for her achievements in the past week, as the league officially announced on Monday afternoon. This is the second distinction of such for DeWolfe this season and the first since the turn of the new year, as she took home this award for the week of Nov. 25.