Fordham Dance Marathon Raises Over $13,000 at the Annual Auction

The raffle portion of the evening featured over 90 prizes students could win. (Pia Fischetti/The Fordham Ram)

This past Wednesday, Feb. 12, Fordham Dance Marathon (FDM) held its annual auction in the McGinley Ballroom. FDM brought in over $13,000 total from the sale of raffle tickets and the live auction, with $6,000 of the total coming from the live auction itself.

The event aided FDM and the Residence Hall Association’s (RHA) mission of raising funds for The Andrew McDonough Be Positive (B+) Foundation.

The foundation provides funds towards curing pediatric cancer, raises awareness and provides financial and community support for the children and their families. FDM has raised over $450,000 for the foundation since it was formed by the RHA Philanthropic Committee in 2013.

Operations Director Theresa Amoruso, FCRH ’20, said that the planning for the event started as early as July.

“Our Auction and Fundraising Director Jacklyn Onody, GSB ’20, has been working tirelessly since the summer to make this event a success,” said Amoruso. “Over the last few months, she has reached out to hundreds of businesses to ask for donations. Because of her hard work, we had more raffle items this year than we have ever had.”

The raffle portion of the evening lasted from 7:30 to 9 p.m. Students bought raffle tickets and explored the numerous prizes that were laid out across the room. The raffle items ranged from Ram Van passes to a family membership at the Bronx Botanical Gardens. The two highest anticipated raffle items of the night were Harry Styles and Post Malone concert tickets, which Onody said explained the large crowd that attended the auction.

“You had to be at the event in order to claim the tickets,” said Onody. “We think this helped with attendance.”

After the raffle ticket winners were revealed, the live auction began. The first item up for auction was a signed Jonas Brothers CD, starting at $25. The battle for the CD erupted between two students, who quickly went back and forth until Lauren Casella, FCRH ’21, bid $105.

“I’m very excited,” said Casella. “My sister is a really big fan and I didn’t get her a Christmas gift. It’s my whole paycheck!”

Other auction items ranged from VIP Spring Weekend passes donated by CAB that went for $170 to a four-day general admission pass to the Lollapalooza Festival that immediately shot up to $700. The highest and final live auction prize of the night was the first housing time slot, which was donated by the Office of Residential Life. The slot went for $1,750.

Executive Co-Director of FDM Collette Campbell, FCRH ’22, said she was proud of the effort that her team put into the event.

“We had started the day at 33% of our goal, and by the end of the night, we were at 41%,” said Campbell. “To see that change keep going up throughout the night was absolutely one of the best feelings. Everyone that worked throughout the night had put in so much time and dedication to FDM, and it was so visible. I really couldn’t keep a smile off of my face.”

Campbell said that the event would not have been successful without the collaborative and familiar environment the club provides.

“There is a ton of behind the scenes work that goes on for this one specific day that I think a lot of people don’t see,” said Campbell. “This is a family that I am absolutely so proud to be a part of. Everyone has worked so hard, and I truly hope that not only the Fordham community recognizes it, but the FDM family recognizes it.”

FDM is gearing up for the dance marathon itself, which will take place on Mar. 7 at 2 p.m. in the Lombardi Field House. FDM will be holding many other fundraisers these next few weeks leading up to the event, as well as personal fundraisers on the club’s social media.

To keep up with FDM’s fundraising efforts, follow them on Instagram @fordhamdancemarathon or Facebook “Fordham Dance Marathon.” If you’d like to contribute to their fight to end pediatric cancer and to support B+ heroes, go to their website and click on the “Donate” button.