USG Discusses Dining Reopening and Testing Concerns

(Courtesy of United Student Government)

This past Thursday, Sept. 24, the United Student Government (USG) discussed the university’s plan to reopen dining on the week of Sept. 30. Fordham will open indoor dining at a 25% capacity in accordance with New York City guidelines.

Maya Bentovim, FCRH ’23, chair of the dining committee, said there are some concerns with opening indoor dining. She is hoping to find other safe spaces that could be converted into dining spaces to further spread out those looking to dine indoors.

Guidelines for indoor dining include the aforementioned 25% capacity along with a maximum of six people per table. The only indoor dining space that will open on Sept. 30 will be the Marketplace. 

On Wednesday, Sept. 23, Fordham University began sending emails to students reminding them  that they are required to get a second COVID-19 test as part of the university’s universal testing requirements. 

You have received this email because we do not yet have a record of your second test and you are no longer allowed on campus,” read the email sent by Maureen Keown, director of health services. 

Multiple senators and e-board members at Thursday’s meeting said that they, or a close friend of theirs, received this email despite already being tested the required two times.

The senators discussed another issue with these emails being that students who live on campus received no warning or mention of where they were to stay after they are no longer allowed on campus.

The Senate raised multiple questions regarding Fordham’s testing and quarantine procedures, including: Does the pre-move-in test count as one of the students’ required two tests? How are students supposed to submit their off campus tests? And where are students supposed to live if they are not allowed on campus but live in on-campus housing?

The Senate decided to reach out to Health Services for clarification on this and encourages students to do the same with their personal questions. 

Keating Steps, USG’s annual event, will be happening on Wednesday, Sept. 30 at 6 p.m. on Edward’s Parade. The university’s social distancing and mask guidelines apply. All tickets must be purchased beforehand due to a limited number of students allowed to attend, according to Vice President of Student Life Elizabeth Vernon, FCRH ’22.