BREAKING: Fordham Modifies Spring Semester Calendar

Fordham modified its academic calendar for the spring 2021 semester due to concerns of a national resurgence of COVID-19 cases this winter. The first day of classes will be Feb. 1, 2020, according to an email from Provost Dennis C. Jacobs — 13 days later than previously scheduled. Students will continue to have the option to take courses through online, in-person and hybrid modalities. 

Jacobs wrote that all students who enter New York for the spring semester from designated states or countries will need to begin their 14-day quarantine prior to entering campus. The university will not provide housing for these students. 

The university also decided to cancel spring break due to concerns with out-of-state travel. The class time will also work to make up for lost days due to the delayed start of the spring semester.

According to the online calendar, Fordham will observe three university holidays during the spring semester: Presidents’ Day, Feb. 15; a mid-semester break day, March 10; and Good Friday, April 2. 

“Modifications to the spring 2021 calendar were made after careful consideration of the need to balance instructional days and fulfill accreditation norms,” Jacobs wrote.

In preparation for classes next semester, students will be able to access spring course information on the MyFordham website. This information will include information on whether each class will be taught in-person, online or hybrid.

Jacobs said Jeffrey Gray, senior vice president for Student Affairs, will soon provide details on spring housing arrangements, move-in and out dates, testing protocols and state quarantine instructions.