USG Discusses Change in State COVID-19 Guidelines for Universities

(Courtesy of United Student Government)

On Thursday, Feb. 25, the United Student Government (USG) held their weekly meeting. The Senate discussed COVID-19 changes and technology struggles students face during the pandemic. 

New York state changed the COVID-19 guidelines for universities. Due to this update, Fordham Rose Hill and Fordham Lincoln Center’s COVID-19 numbers will be grouped together to determine a pause. 

Gov. Cuomo’s new COVID-19 guidelines state that “5% of the total on-campus population” will be grounds for a pause in student activity like the one Rose Hill has just seen. 

President Olivia Quartell, FCRH ’21, stated that the wording on Fordham’s website is confusing and is seeking a clearer definition of Gov. Cuomo’s new guidelines. 

USG also discussed new fears in regards to the recent detection of the U.K. strain of COVID-19 on Rose Hill’s campus. 

The Senate would like to look at where students are getting infected, whether it is on or off campus, and adjust the COVID-19 guidelines accordingly. 

If you have further questions or concerns regarding COVID-19 policies, President Quartell and Vice President Thomas Reuter, FCRH ’22, encourage students to email [email protected], as they want to ensure students stay informed. 

Judy Rothschild-Best, assistant director of Student Technology Services, came to the meeting to discuss technology problems with the Senate. 

The Senate had mostly praise for the updated WiFi and IT Services, but Rothschild-Best continues to encourage all students to open an IT Ticket if you are experiencing issues. IT will not know about an issue unless a student reports it. 

Two new clubs passed through the Senate. The Sikh Student Organization and the Actuarial Club will now be official clubs on the Rose Hill campus. 

The Resident Hall Association (RHA) is holding its yearly Fordham Dance Marathon (FDM) Auction on March 3. FDM proceeds go to the B+ Foundation for childhood cancer. 

Commuter assistant applications are opening March 7. Email [email protected] or check out @Fordhamcsa on Instagram for more information!