USG Senators Propose COVID-19 Student Support Network

(Courtesy of United Student Government)

On Thursday, March 11, Fordham United Student Government (USG) held its weekly meeting and discussed service opportunities on the Rose Hill campus. 

Vice President of Sustainability Maggie Tattersfield, FCRH ’22, and Vice President of Student Life Elizabeth Vernon, GSB ’22, brought to the attention of the senate that there are not many service opportunities at Rose Hill for upperclassmen. 

Senator Rico, FCRH ’21, offered that there are service opportunities through the Center of Community Engagement for all students. The Center of Community Engagement is an office through Fordham Campus Ministry but is offered to all students, not just those interested in Campus Ministry. 

Vice President of Operations Audrey Felton, FCRH ’22, and Vernon proposed their new COVID-19 Student Support Network to the senate. 

The COVID-19 Student Support Network aims to reduce loneliness and stress while students are in isolation due to exposure. When students enter quarantine they will receive an email from the network with frequently asked questions and concerns. From the email, students in isolation can opt to join the peer connection program. The network pairs student volunteers with students who are in isolation and choose to be a part of the network. Students can either receive daily check-ins or less frequent check-ins from their connected “outside” peer. Volunteers are still needed for this program, and if you’re interested reach out to either [email protected] or [email protected].

Commuter Students Association (CSA) is holding their Commuter Week starting March 26. The theme is yet to be announced. 

From March 15 to 17, senior portraits will be taken on campus. If students did not receive a time slot, there will be slots available later in April. These additional slots have yet to be officially scheduled. 

The Sustainability Committee is hosting Earth Week from April 19 to 23. This year’s theme is “Intersectionality.” There will be both in-person and hybrid events offered for students to celebrate the week.