Golf Places Fifth in First Event

Fordham Men’s Golf competed at the Winterbury Hills Golf Club, marking their first competition of the season. (Courtesy of Fordham Athletics)

Fordham Golf participated in their first event since October of 2019 last week when they traveled to Hartford. They placed fifth out of seven teams at Wintonbury Hills Golf Club on Friday the 26th, kicking off their shortened 2021 season. The hosts, the University of Hartford, won the event with a six-shot cushion over the University of Rhode Island Rams. Their two-under score came earlier in the day before the wind stiffened and made course conditions difficult for the other teams, especially Fordham. 

Sophomore Nicholas Manning said, “The weather took a turn for the worst with wind gusts around 30 mph, and our score suffered, resulting in a poor back nine” Before making the turn, Fordham was in prime position at two-under through the first nine holes. The team fell off, however, and finished with a score of 296 (+26). 

The Rams’ low scorers were sophomore PJ O’Rourke, graduate student Tomas Nieves and sophomore John Kryscio, all at 73 (+3). O’Rourke at the top of the leaderboard is a sight Ram fans have become used to seeing in his two years with the squad. He had the low average on the team last fall and continued his great play in the first event of his sophomore year. He will continue to lead the young squad through this season. 

This event was Nieves’ first in two years, and his leadership presence as the only senior/graduate student proved to be important in this match. As for Kryscio, this is his first season with the team as a sophomore. As one of the unknowns coming into the season, it is great for the Rams to add another scorer to the lineup. 

Manning commented on what the Rams expect for the upcoming matches in the Nutmeg State: “I anticipate our guys to go lower and lower. We are working hard and driven and are doubted.” 

They take that edge into two more events in Connecticut. They have an Easter weekend match hosted by the University of Connecticut beginning on Thursday. The UCONN Intercollegiate will be held at Ellington Ridge Country Club. The following weekend is another one-day event hosted by Hartford, but not back at Wintonbury. That match on April 9 will take place at Tumble Brook Country Club in Bloomfield. Manning commented on what they expect from their next trip to Hartford.

“We know that area well and will look to improve on closing that back nine.” The conditions might be similar, as spring in New England is so unpredictable, so the Rams will have to be ready for anything. 

All in all, this is a solid start for Fordham. Although they fell to Atlantic 10 competition in Rhode Island, they hung tight with a few very good teams and will look to improve in their subsequent visits. The Rams are very young, and seeing their younger players take charge and lead the way is promising. 

That being said, there is room to improve. The back nine was a killer for Fordham, so there is hope that they can improve on their standing in the next two events.