Swimming and Diving Split Against Georgetown University

The women’s swimming and diving team beat Georgetown University in a convincing 198-94 win (courtesy of Fordham Athletics).

The Rams were back in action in the water, yet again for their fourth meet of the season. This past weekend, Fordham competed against Georgetown University in the Bronx at Francis B. Messmore Aquatic Center. In what was predicted to be a really difficult meet, the Rams were able to pull through and race hard against a strong team. The ladies were able to pull off the win, securing their record of 4–0. The men came up close, but ended up losing to the Hoyas despite their hard efforts.

On the women’s side, freshman Ainhoa Martin led the ladies with three individual event wins. She took first place in the 100- and 200-meter breaststroke with times of 1:05.34 and 2:17.56, respectively. Her last individual win came in the 200 individual medley (IM) with a time of 2:04.67. 

Other multiple-event wins come from senior Natalie Ortof, freshman Jessica Zebrowski and freshman Madeline Bergin. Ortof swept the diving events yet again, showing her continued strength as the season picks up. For the 1M, she scored 273.87, and in the 3M, she pulled off the winning score of 282.22.

In the swimming events, Zebrowski won both the butterfly events with times of 56.98 in the 100-meter and 2:05.91 in the 200. Bergin won the sprint freestyle events with times of 24.51 in the 50 and 53.56 in the 100. 

Individual event wins came from junior Audrey Tirrell in the 200 freestyle with a time of 1:54.79. Another individual win came from freshman Leire Martin in the 100 backstroke, who secured the win with a time of 58.37. Junior Alison Lin won the 200 backstroke with a time of 2:05.11, and freshman Emilie Krog the 500 freestyle event with her time of 5:03.95.

The ladies were also able to win points in both relay events, as they secured the win in both the 200 medley relay and the 400 freestyle relay.

On the men’s side, the Rams picked up three event wins from three individual swimmers. However, these wins were not enough for them to secure the win in the meet.

Junior Ethan Murray won the 200 butterfly with a time of 1:55.32. Freshman Vitalis Onu won the 100 butterfly with his time of 51.20, and senior Spencer Clarke won 100 freestyle with a time of 47.06. 

In commenting how she felt about the meet win, graduate student Becky Kamau said, “[They were] not my best times that I have done previously, but the focus was just on racing and winning points.” 

The Rams are scheduled to have their first travel meet of the season in nine days when they will travel to Lewisburg, Pennsylvania, to face the Bucknell Bisons in their home pool.