Swimming and Diving Sweeps Meet Against Iona

Fordham Swimming and Diving continued its season last Wednesday with a comprehensive sweep over Iona College. The men’s team improved to 3–3 on the year, winning by a total score of 152–118. The women’s team added another win to their perfect season thus far, taking their record to 6–0 in team competition. They won by a score of 180–107.

Multiple Rams had big days on the men’s side of the pool. Senior Spencer Clarke won both the 100 and 200 freestyle with times of 46.69 and 1:42.96, respectively. Clarke’s day didn’t end there, as he was a part of both victorious relay teams, as well. Clarke and junior Nicholas Chao combined with freshmen Kevin Zahariev and Vitalis Onu to win the 200 medley relay at 1:35.59. A similar lineup of Clarke, Chao, Onu and freshman Alexander Shah came out on top in the 400 freestyle relay at 3:07.46, making it four first place finishes on the day for Clarke.

Sophomore Alex Wilhelm similarly had a day to remember, winning three individual events. The 100 and 200 backstroke both belonged to Wilhelm, as he posted a time of 51.41 in the 100 and 1:54.74 in the 200. He also won the 200 individual medley at 1:54.89. The final men’s winners were Shah in the 50 freestyle at 21.53, freshman Daniel Langlois in the 200 breaststroke at 2:10.03 and sophomore John Kresl in the 1m dive with a score of 195.75.

The women’s side of the competition saw just as much success for the Rams. The Fordham women had a diverse list of event victories from a wide variety of different contributors. Junior Audrey Tirrell won the 500 freestyle at 5:10.18, and freshman Jessica Zebrowski came out on top in the 100 freestyle at 52.98. The Rams also found success in the 1000 and 200 freestyle events, where sophomore Ellen Brooks and freshman Emilie Krog finished at the top of the podium. In the 200 breaststroke, freshman Leire Martin finished first with a time of 2:22.46.

The big winner for the Fordham women was Leire’s sister, freshman Ainhoa Martin,. A. Martin won both the 200 butterfly and 200 breaststroke, and was a key member of the 200 medley relay team and the 400 freestyle relay team that both took first place.

Freshman Madeline Bergin was a part of both the 200 medley relay and the 400 freestyle relay wins. She also took home first in the 50 freestyle at 24.70. Reigning A-10 co-performer of the week Becky Kamau similarly had three wins to her name as a member of the aforementioned relay teams, along with a solo triumph in the 100 butterfly.

The diving competitions were also kind to the Rams. Senior Natalie Ortoff finished first in the 1m dive with a score of 278.10, and freshman Molly Farell won the 3m dive with a tally of 256.35.

Fordham was supposed to be back in action this past Saturday against Massachusetts, but the winter storm that hit the New York City area caused the meet to be canceled. The Rams will next compete on Wednesday, Feb. 2, against St. Francis of Brooklyn.