Black History Month Begins

Fordham University is celebrating Black History Month with a number of events. (Courtesy of Instagram)

As students return to class and begin to settle into the spring semester, Fordham’s Rose Hill and Lincoln Center campuses are planning to host several events to celebrate Black History Month.

Fordham, a university that values its diversity and inclusion, is giving students the opportunity to learn more about the accomplishments of Black Americans and celebrate their historical achievements that have helped shape our nation’s rich history.

In the coming weeks, students should be on the lookout for several programs and events, hosted by the Office of Multicultural Affairs and the Black History Month Committee, that look to celebrate and encourage diversity in and outside of the classroom.

Throughout the month of February, WFUV will feature young emerging artists who will explain the “Five Essential Albums” that have inspired their own journeys. Each week will focus on a different genre. Week one is Jazz and Hip Hop, week two is Blues, Rock and Country, week three is Funk, Soul and R&B and week four is Pop.

Last week, guest speaker Moses Harper kicked off the first event of the month where she held a conversation about Black History Month. On Feb. 3, Professor Tina Campt of Brown University discussed her new book, “A Black Gaze: Artists Changing How We See” at its Annual Black History Month Lecture. The Office of Multicultural Affairs also hosted a trivia night, where participants tested their knowledge of Black history and were awarded prizes.

On Wednesday, Feb. 9, a Black Culture Celebration will be held at the Lincoln Center campus, where there will be an “open stage” for any budding actors, singers and performers who want to showcase their talents. If students are interested in learning about the history of Black beauty and wellness, Yuko Miki will be speaking with historian and Black feminist Giovana Xavier via Zoom on Thursday, Feb. 10. Students can pre-register online and will have the opportunity to comment and ask questions during this virtual event.

The Lincoln Center campus will screen “Black Panther” at 6 p.m. on Feb. 15 in the student lounge.

On Friday, Feb. 18, another Black History Month Trivia will be hosted from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. in Lincoln Center’s McNally Hall.

Finally, the month will wrap up with some fun interactive events called the “Love Your Hair” Panel and Expo, which will be held on Feb. 24. Then, on Feb. 28, there will be a Black History Month panel discussion hosted by Career Services. For more information on any of the above events, students can visit Fordham’s news website.