Fordham’s Reading in Action Book Club

Fordhams book club, Reading in Action, is discussing Sacred Shelter this semester. (Courtesy of Fordham University Press)

Fordham’s book club, Reading in Action, is discussing “Sacred Shelter” this semester. (Courtesy of Fordham University Press)

“Reading in Action is a Fordham book club focused on reading and discussing pertinent issues of today, as well as participating in community service and outreach related to the chosen issue,” explains Kristen, FCLC ’23, an intern for Campus Ministry.

“This semester, the club will be discussing homelessness, starting with the book “Sacred Shelter,” a compilation of 13 individual stories, written by Susan Greenfield, who is a member of our own Fordham community.”

Sacred Shelter” shares the lives of 13 previously homeless people in New York City. Each of these individuals have completed an interfaith life skills program called the Life Empowerment Program.

They opened up to Susan Greenfield, the book’s author, about not only their traumatic experiences but also how they have grown and healed. Their stories are dark and honest, including tales of racism, mental illness and sexual assault.

The book is not focused on confronting the inequalities and socioeconomic factors that contribute to homelessness, but rather providing a voice to a marginalized group.

Though Greenfield conducted interviews, the book takes on a narrative form to represent both the struggles and strength of those included.
Greenfield expressed that she was not aware that Reading in Action would be using her book to start this semester. However, she was pleased to hear it.

“[The topic of homelessness] should be important to all of us. Homelessness is a travesty that results from too little affordable housing — and this, in turn, is related to a range of problems that stem from systemic inequality,” said Greenfield.

Greenfield hopes that “Sacred Shelter” will expose the horrors of homelessness and promote advocacy and public engagement.

Greenfield further explained her role in the creation of the book.

She wrote the introduction and edited material from previously conducted interviews. However, Greenfield says that she didn’t “write” most of it, as the stories covered were told to her by others.

As an instructor, Greenfield uses the book in one of her own classes at Fordham.

She teaches it alongside “King Lear,” “The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn” and “The Grapes of Wrath” in her Community Engaged Learning class centered around homelessness.

“I teach it because I find the stories as beautiful, poetic and powerful as more traditional and canonical literature. I teach it because I think we need to radically reconceptualize what constitutes great literature, and what constitutes the basic foundation of a liberal arts education,” said Greenfield.

She hopes that her students will learn from the wisdom, generosity and compassion that the narrators show.

By telling the stories of real people, Greenfield allows the audience to connect with these narratives on a different level.

“The book reflects an attempt (however incremental in the grand scheme of things) to help reframe that pernicious narrative,” explains Greenfield.
“Sacred Shelter” includes only a handful of examples from a group far larger, but it gives more meaning to the journey than simply statistics or facts.
Though the stories are filled with trauma and darkness, the memoirists manage to provide a light at the end of the tunnel. Beyond their tragedies, they also speak of their families and those who supports them. After feeling the pain of their lows, the reader celebrates their triumphs.

As Greenfield put it, “though none of them applaud themselves, again and again they reveal their own courage, resilience, compassion and big-heartedness.”

“Sacred Shelter” is the first of several books the Reading in Action club will use in their discussion of homelessness.

Throughout the upcoming weeks, keep an eye out for any other picks of theirs that may interest you or any inspiring community outreach activities.

Reading in Action provides an engaging way for students in the Fordham community to stay informed about the environment and world around them.