Fordham Men’s Basketball Lands Angel Montas in Kyle Neptune’s First Recruiting Class

Montas+is+the+third+recruit+to+join+the+Rams%2C+and+the+first+of+Dominican+descent+since+Joel+Soriano.+%28Courtesy+of+Instagram%29+

Montas is the third recruit to join the Rams, and the first of Dominican descent since Joel Soriano. (Courtesy of Instagram)

Kyle Neptune and company have been wasting no time in rebuilding the Fordham men’s basketball team, as they landed their third recruit in Angel Montas. He was first offered by the Rams in September 2021.

Montas, a 6’5”, 210-pound wing, hails from Life Christian Academy in Kissimmee, Florida. Montas was rated as a three star recruit by 247sports and had offers from the University of Dayton, University of Illinois, Iona College, University of Tennessee and Southern Methodist University.
He joins Will Richardson and Romad Dean in the 2022 recruiting class for the Fordham Rams. Assistant coach Ronald Ramon made the trip to visit Montas and was able to oust bigger programs to land him.

“I think we just connected with Angel and the players we brought in, and I think they feel comfortable with the staff. They can see that we are about developing guys, we show the relationship we have internally and that translates into our players.” said Ramon. “I think that’s one of the things that they look for; someone that they can relate to not only on the court but anything off the court and build a relationship that will last not only four years but one that will last a lifetime.”

Montas made waves playing with Hansel Emmanuel, a one-armed basketball player who formed a terrifying duo at Life Christian Academy and took the internet by storm.

Montas played his Amateur Athletic Union (AAU) basketball with SOH Elite based in Florida with Emmanuel by his side. He scored 4,000 career points by the end of his high school career, on top of averaging 34.3 points, 8.4 rebounds, 3.4 steals and 2.7 assists per game as a senior. Montas was also a Sunshine Independent Athletic Association (SIAA) first-team selection.

Ramon’s Dominican roots were a big help in the recruitment of Montas. Ramon played his college basketball at the University of Pittsburgh, and a graduate of All Hallows High School in the Bronx, but represented the Dominican Republic playing on their national team.
“I saw him at one of the AAU events in Orlando when I first saw him. I played with his uncle on the (Dominican) national team, so I knew him since he was younger. And you could just see the potential he had.”

Montas’ game revolves around his physical style of play. He has a knack for blasting any and all comers in the paint. He loves going north to south and is crafty with his movements by using a variety of finishes around the rim. Fordham looks for players that can do a lot of different things, and Montas is no exception.

The jumpshot is something that goes a long way nowadays in basketball. If you can shoot, you will be able to find a spot to play on any team. Montas has very nice looking form from three, and as previously mentioned, adds a mid-range element which is always a plus. He also includes a rapidly improving handle plus an understanding of when to give the ball up and make the right play.
Player comparisons are not exactly easy to judge, and throughout the history of Fordham Men’s Basketball the concept of wings is quite extensive, but Montas’ skillset might be the first of his kind to enter Fordham.

“Angel is more like a hybrid type of guy, he can play two, three, or four. He likes to score and get to the basket, very athletic and likes to create his own shot,” Ramon added. “He’s more of an open floor guy on the break, two or three dribbles he can get to the basket where he’s more comfortable.”
In terms of physical build, he draws to the likes of former Rams Steve Samuels, Michael Haynes and Teremun Johnson: the height range of 6’5”-’6’7” and all weighing north of 200 pounds.

Montas, Richardson and Dean will make immediate impacts as freshmen and look to do something that hasn’t been done since 2019: make Atlantic 10 all-rookie teams as Fordham Rams. The last Ram to accomplish that feat was Nick Honor, who ended up transferring to Clemson.
All the tools mentioned are what Neptune is looking for in his players: dynamic ball handlers who are versatile on defense with a shooting touch as the tertiary element.

Fordham was also in need of guard play following abrupt departures and graduations. They did manage to stay at .500 with Antrell Charton and Josh Colon-Navvaro doing most of the work, along with Darius Quisenberry limping through the final stretch.

Fordham’s recruiting buzz has been exceptional to start Neptune’s era, and now the Rams look to brighter days ahead in the Bronx and bring the program back to the winning ways of old. And while the transfer portal may be a big tool to build, freshman can help create something sustainable.