Donna Rapaccioli Steps Down as Dean of the Gabelli School of Business

Lerzan Aksoy, Ph.D, is the new dean of the Gabelli School of Business. (Courtesy of Gabelli Connect)

On April 11, the Gabelli School of Business (GSB) announced that Dean Donna Rapaccioli, Ph.D. will be stepping down as dean of the school. She will be replaced by Lerzan Aksoy, Ph.D., current professor and associate dean of GSB, who will serve as interim dean until July 1, 2023. Rapaccioli served as dean of GSB for over 15 years. 

Rapaccioli will not be leaving the GSB, but rather becoming a faculty member. 

“I’m not leaving the Gabelli School, only returning to my roots as a faculty member in the accounting department. I look forward to cultivating even deeper relationships with our students and sharing in their academic lives in a closer and more consistent way,” said Rapaccioli. 

Throughout her tenure, Rapaccioli achieved many notable accomplishments. In an email sent out by Provost Dennis Jacobs, Rapaccioli started GSB’s first doctoral programs. These programs include both a Ph.D. program that is now six years old and a Doctor of Professional Studies program that aims to teach future international executives “foundational principles of academic business research.”

During her leadership as dean, the GSB’s MBA program rose in the U.S. News and World Report from being unranked to ranking #63. In addition to that standing, the entire school has seven “top 25” positions in U.S. News and World Report academic rankings. 

“I am so grateful to Provost Jacobs for sharing a list of accomplishments in his announcement; however, what I am most proud of is that all of these were achieved by teams of people. It wasn’t just me, but always us,” said Rapaccioli. “Here at the Gabelli School we have built a culture of ‘we,’ through collaboration and competition balanced in a harmonious way. It fills me with pride to see this ‘we’ in action.” 

According to Rapacciolli, her fondest memories of her time as dean have been those where she gets the opportunity to engage with students and see them grow. 

“By far, my fondest memories involve sharing in the celebration of our community’s accomplishments. Hearing of student accomplishments, job offers and others is such a joy,” said Rapaccioli. 

On her departure from her dean position, Rapaccioli hopes that students continue to remember the messages that she tried to inspire as dean. 

“Throughout my tenure as dean, my mantra was always ‘I want every Fordham business student to graduate prepared to be a compassionate leader who contributes to society while living a balanced life,’” said Rapaccioli on what she wants her legacy as GSB to be. 

Aksoy will replace Rapaccioli on June 30, 2022. In addition to currently serving as associate dean, Aksoy is a professor of marketing as well as director of the responsible business coalition.

As interim dean, Aksoy is looking forward to continuing the Gabelli mission. She wants to work to ensure that the momentum of the Gabelli School continues. In addition to that goal, she is also looking forward to supporting the faculty and staff within the school. Aksoy also hopes to take a student-centered approach and wants to make sure that all Gabelli students have a profound experience within the school. 

“I’m looking forward to helping make sure that the student experience is the Gabelli experience so that our students are getting what they need to be future-ready business leaders,” said Aksoy.

Aksoy feels that all of the goals that she has for her time as interim dean, align with GSB’s greater values. 

“My goals relate back to the mission of the Gabelli school, which is to educate compassionate global business leaders who will use the power of business to move society forward,” said Aksoy.

During her time as interim dean, Aksoy hopes to continue to foster relationships between the Gabelli School of Business and the outside world, whether that be through fostering relationships with business leaders, corporate partners, or alumni. She also places an emphasis on incorporating socially responsible business practices to help ensure that students will be ready for the world of business upon graduation and do so with a uniquely Gabelli perspective.

“I want to make it easier to incorporate new innovations and business trends into the classroom to enhance student learning,” said Aksoy.

Throughout the year, the GSB will be interviewing and searching for candidates that will serve as permanent dean. The permanent dean will replace Aksoy on July 1, 2023.