A Written Tour of Fordham’s Rose Hill Campus

Fordham’s campus has many different places for freshman to explore. (Courtesy of Pia Fischetti/The Fordham Ram)

While 85 acres of university campus may not seem like much, a new student might have a difficult time learning how to navigate campus for the first two weeks or so. To make it easier, the Fordham Ram is providing a run-down of all the need-to-know spots a new student will need to thrive as they adjust to campus life.

Residence Halls
If you’re a new student, chances are you’ve already been situated in one of seven freshman residence halls: Loschert, Alumni Court South, Martyrs’ Court, Queen’s Court, Tierney or Loyola/Faber.

But once you make it past that first year and choose to continue living on campus, you might end up in O’Hare Hall, the densest hall on campus (home to majority of sophomores), Finlay, Walsh, or, if you’re a junior or senior, Campbell or Salice-Conley. While the first few days of living in your new dorm might feel uncomfortable, all it needs is some time to become lived-in and comfy.

Where To Eat
Some of the hardest choices you’ll have to make while living on campus come down to where you go for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Quick warning: if you’re going to eat on campus during the first few weeks of classes, be prepared to wait in ridiculously long lines. Get there early.

Alternatively, you can use GrubHub to order your meals ahead, but be aware that many other students also use this method.

The first, and largest, dining location is the Marketplace (AKA the Caf) (1), located in the McShane Campus Center. The Marketplace is divided into two distinct sections: the seating hall and the kitchen hall, the latter of which holds several kitchens that each provide a distinct cuisine – from vegan options to rotating ethnic cuisines, pizzas, salads, desserts and burgers. The dining options at the Marketplace vary on a day-to-day basis, so check in and see whether that day’s meals appetize you.

The other two larger dining options are Cosí (2) and Urban Kitchen (3). Both situated on the ground floor of residence halls (Campbell and O’Hare, respectively), each offers entirely different menus that never change. Cosí offers a selection of salads, soups, sandwiches and pizzas. Urban Kitchen, on the other hand, has a much more eclectic selection of food. The Grill at Urban caters to a palate more akin to the Americana dining world of burgers, cheesesteaks, chicken tenders and fries. That being said, Urban Kitchen does offer healthier choices in its salad and smoothie bars.

Another popular dining spot, especially for freshmen, is Boar’s Head Deli and P.O.D. (4), or Provisions on Demand. Both of these spots occupy the same space in the Queen’s Court Deli. Boar’s Head is where you go for those deli sandwiches. While you’re there, use your Declining Cash Balance to buy snacks, fruits or frozen meals from P.O.D..

If you’re on the lookout for a bite to eat while you’re rushing to class, the off-campus building known as Faculty Memorial Hall (on Belmont and East Fordham Road) is home to Salt and Sesame (5), which offers pastries like bagels and muffins in addition to paninis, sandwiches and wraps. There is also a Starbucks (6) on the ground floor of Dealy Hall.

Student Services
One of the better parts about campus living is the number of places dedicated to student services on campus. Let’s take a look at some of the most important ones.

Fordham’s Health Services (7), which is comprised of both physical health and counseling/psychological services, can be found in the lower basement level of O’Hare and is accessible from across from the main residence hall entrance. There are a number of medical services at students’ disposal, from generalized health care to more specialized health care for male, female or LGBTQ+ students. Students are also free to make an appointment or walk-in to the health services office for Fordham’s Counseling and Psychological Services (CPS), which helps students receive necessary mental health care either through in-house specialists or outsourced experts.

On the other hand, the university’s Emergency Medical Services (FUEMS) (8) office can be found in the basement of Queen’s Court, next to the courtyard in front of Loschert Hall.

Another important office that students may look for is the Office of Financial Aid (9). While normally located in Thebaud Hall (down the street from Eddie’s towards the Bathgate entrance), the office is temporarily located in the Thebaud Modular Unit across from Duane library. The Office of Financial Aid is where students will have to go in order to gain further information about the different types of aid available, how to manage their current cost and fees to the university and find loan resources for financing their education.

Also in Thebaud is the office of Student Employment (10), which, as it sounds, helps students manage student employment during their time at Fordham. Students may go to the office of Student Employment to find an on-campus job. With that being said, it may be difficult to find a job if you are not given priority through federal work-study.

Additionally, both the Office of Career Services and the Career Centers (11), found on the second floor of the McShane Student Center, can also be a helpful resource for students looking for support in starting careers outside of university academics. They will help pair you with a career counselor at the university, who will then help you work through all the aspects of job hunting, including writing resumes, asking for references and looking for the best and most suitable jobs. As you proceed further through job searches, the counselor will even help prepare you for interviews and guide you through resources in maintaining a successful academic career simultaneous to your financial career.

Walsh Library
The Walsh Library is a building dedicated to providing academic resources. Outside of hosting the campus’s physical collection of academic texts and books (including an extensive collection of reference texts), there are also multiple other services offered to students within the building. Take, for example, the school’s Writing Center, where students can go to receive guidance on improving their writing skills or have their essays peer-reviewed.
The library also has technological resources for students who need to get their hands on clerical equipment. Computer labs and rooms dedicated to copying, scanning and printing documents can be found on the first floor of the library.

Additionally, check out the exhibit Museum of Greek, Etruscan, & Roman Art while you’re in there.

Rodrigue’s Coffee House
Rodrigue’s is by far the most distinct locale at Rose Hill. Completely student-run, the shop serves coffee and tea at low (cash-only) prices for students looking for a place to study or relax. The alternative aesthetic of Rod’s interior helps inject a much-needed queer flavor to Rose Hill’s campus.
As much as I love Rod’s, beware the aux. As you walk into the coffee shop, you may find yourself amidst either some of the best or worst music you have ever heard. It all depends on who’s taken control of the speakers.

If you end up getting lost trying to navigate across campus, there are, luckily, a number of maps and signs posted to help you find the buildings you’re looking for. Don’t be afraid to ask for directions if you need them.