The Best of the Bronx: Where to Eat Around Arthur Avenue

Rams Deli, one of the iconic dining options near Fordham’s Rose Hill campus. (courtesy of Pia Fischetti/The Fordham Ram)

One of Fordham University’s best qualities is being located just steps outside of Arthur Avenue, known for the fine dining that makes up the original Little Italy. You simply can’t beat the incredible Italian food options right off campus. As a self-proclaimed Bronx foodie, I’d like to outline a comprehensive guide of the best places to eat while at Fordham.

The most popular restaurant in the Bronx is Enzo’s. A fan-favorite of the Fordham student body, this five-star Italian restaurant is always in high demand. If you’re looking to dine at Enzo’s for Family Weekend, make sure to book your reservation a month in advance. I personally recommend their gnocchi pesto, it’s what brings everyone there.

If a Fordham student’s favorite Bronx restaurant isn’t Enzo’s, it’s probably MichaelAngelos. Its location can’t be beat, as it’s the closest restaurant to campus. In my opinion, it has the best fettuccine alfredo in the entirety of Bronx Little Italy. MichaelAngelo’s is also where most (if not all) of the formals are held by student clubs at Fordham.

Although most Fordham students argue between Enzo’s and MichaelAngelo’s, my favorite Italian restaurant on Arthur Avenue is Mario’s. The atmosphere at Mario’s is unmatched — the room is always filled with people laughing and singing along to the musician who regularly plays there. Some of my fondest memories have been made at Mario’s, singing “Vienna” by Billy Joel with my family as we ate the most delicious penne vodka. As someone who judges the quality of an Italian restaurant by the taste of their bread, Mario’s gets a 10 out of 10 in my book. 

If Italian food isn’t for you, don’t worry — just head over to Estrellita Poblana III. The Mexican restaurant offers indoor and outdoor dining as well as delivery. Commonly known by students as just “Estrellita’s,” The Daily News even named their taco as the best taco in New York City! 

The Bronx has so much to offer outside of just its restaurants. Casa Della Mozzarella is right off of Arthur Avenue and has the best burrata I’ve ever tasted. The interior of this deli is always decorated beautifully for the holidays — my favorite decor of theirs is on Valentine’s Day. They serve incredible sandwiches with some interesting names. My favorite sandwich is the Bachacaloop, which is made of sopressata, speck, mozzarella, peppers and balsamic. 

The best place to go for meat in the Bronx is Teitel Brothers, a third-generation family business with the tastiest prosciutto. The small store is filled to the ceiling with all kinds of oil, bread, pasta and meats. The atmosphere is always lively, with staff and customers laughing and exchanging stories. If you’d like to learn more about Teitel Brothers, you can read another article from the Ram here.

As you’ll soon find out, there’s a bit of a rivalry between two 24-hour delis on Fordham Road. In my experience, Fordham students have strong loyalties to either Best Deli or Ram’s Deli. Each store has unique menus and items to offer, so it really comes down to what you’re looking for. 

Best has college essentials such as ramen, milk, mac and cheese and paper plates. Their sandwiches are to die for, and you haven’t truly lived until you’ve tried their Vanessa wrap. It’s basically heaven inside a tortilla wrap — it’s filled with hashbrowns, melted cheese, avocado, eggs and chipotle aioli. Although I prefer to go to Best, Ram’s has a more convenient location (closer to Arthur Avenue) and has a wider menu selection, including chicken wings, pizza and practically anything else you could think of. 

Finally, if you’re looking for a slice of New York pizza, going to Pugsley’s Pizza is a no-brainer. Located just steps outside of Fordham’s campus (right across from Walsh Hall), there’s no excuse not to grab a slice. Their penne pizza is a fan-favorite, but their classics like plain and pepperoni are also guaranteed to taste amazing. The slices are huge, hot and dripping with cheese. Pugsley’s is often open until 3 a.m., and the line is out the door on a Saturday night. 

Now that you’ve read this comprehensive guide on the best places to eat in the Bronx, what are you waiting for? Get out there and eat!