Fordham Volleyball Sweeps At 19th Annual Rose Hill Classic

Freshman Audrey Brown celebrates as head coach Ian Choi looks on. (Courtesy of Fordham Athletics)

Fordham Volleyball hosted the 19th Annual Rose Hill Classic this past weekend, and did not disappoint. Entering the tournament, the Rams stood at 2-1 overall with several crucial questions yet to be answered regarding their line-up and deeper yet, their identity. But after three wins this weekend including two sweeps we may have seen a new look for the Rams, a product that head coach Ian Choi will look to replicate throughout the rest of the 2022 season. 

Choi started the season by slotting freshman Audrey Brown in the starting lineup alongside senior setter Megan Brzozowski.  After a narrow five-set victory over the less than formidable Fairleigh Dickinson University to begin the Rose Hill Classic, Choi decided to make some changes. In the line-up’s current iteration, the talented duo of Brown and Brzozowski have found their way to a “sixth-man” role in Choi’s new system as the first two players off the bench. In addition, junior co-captain Lauren Arzuaga was given her first collegiate start, paired with freshman Mackenzie Colvin, who was also starting for the first time at the NCAA level. These changes proved to be fruitful as the Rams wrapped up the Classic with two dominant sweeps over Niagara University and the University of Pennsylvania. 

The Rams now stand at 5-1 with a clear rotation of starters and group of reliable sparks getting very familiar with their newly-minted roles. Brown and Brzozowski coming off the bench provide Choi with a balanced attack throughout a match. In fact, it now appears that Choi’s strongest lineup materializes when the starters are getting some rest, a true example of coaching wizardry. 

While Colvin seems to have earned herself a spot in the starting lineup, she may not even be the most impactful freshman the new generation of Rams have. Both freshman Zoe Talabong and Brown have played major roles in the Rams’ early success with their stellar outside presence. The key to this team is depth. With a plethora of offensive options, including three explosive freshmen, the Rams have many ways to succeed. It’s still very early in the season, but the Ram’s depth should make them the sort of squad no-one wants to face come Atlantic 10 play. 

After a dominant performance on their home court, Fordham will now travel to Grand Forks, North Dakota, for the University of North Dakota Classic to compete against Montana State University and the hosts of the tourney in North Dakota. Wrapping up out west, they’ll then move to another early season tournament in New Haven, Connecticut, at the Yale Invitational, all before A-10 play begins at home against the defending conference champions, the University of Dayton Flyers. This tough travel schedule, in addition to the serious talent they’ll encounter throughout these trips, will give Choi’s Rams an exceptional opportunity to cement their identity just a little bit more.