Volleyball Drops Three Straight at Yale Invitational

Freshman Audrey Brown gets up for the kill at Yale last Saturday. (Courtesy of Fordham Athletics)

Fordham Volleyball underwent a reality check this past weekend, suffering its first losing streak of the 2022 season. The Rams got off to a hot start, winning five of their first six matches, but have since notched four losses in their five most recent outings. Last weekend, they traveled to New Haven, Conn. for the Yale Invitational, where they were dominated by some tough competition.

Starting off on Friday, the Rams were swept by the Sacred Heart University Pioneers in a match that saw Fordham being unusually passive. The Rams were only able to generate 30 kills throughout the entirety of the match, while Sacred Heart posted a resounding 44. The following day, Fordham was slated to play two elite clubs in Villanova University and the Yale University Bulldogs, the hosts of the tournament. In both of Saturday’s matchups, Fordham won the initial set before surrendering in consecutive reverse sweeps. The ability to get off on the right foot on the road is key, but the inability to capitalize on their momentum must be worrisome for head coach Ian Choi.

The disappointing results from New Haven put the Rams in a place they haven’t yet been in during this 2022 campaign, needing to bounce back and build momentum from scratch.

While Fordham does seem to be in need of a spark, any questions regarding the lineup appear to have been answered this past weekend. Throughout the first month of the year, the duo of senior setter Megan Brzozowski and high-flying freshman Audrey Brown have been platooning in the starting lineup with another duo, that of junior Lauren Arzuaga and freshman Mackenzie Colvin. It may have taken 11 matches, but it seems Choi has landed on his final lineup. Just like opening day, Brown and Brzozowski appear to have secured their spot in the Rams starting seven. After a stretch as tough as the one the Rams are in right now, no lineup is truly safe. That said, considering the consistent decision making of late, we have probably seen the final version of this year’s starting group.

With any and all lineup issues likely behind them, the Rams will now have the stakes raised with conference play beginning this Friday. This weekend’s matchup with the University of Dayton Flyers will also mark the Rams’ return home after five straight road games. So while returning to their home floor should give the squad a boost in confidence, the start of Atlantic 10 play could not come against a tougher opponent. The Flyers have made a habit of appearing in the NCAA tournament by way of the A-10 championship, winning the title the last four years running. The Rams made a historic run to the A-10 championship last season where their Cinderella story was inevitably cut short by the perennial conference champions in the Flyers. This weekend’s two game conference championship rematch from the Bronx provides the Rams with a litmus test, which will determine where they stand up against the best the A-10 has to offer.