Fordham Celebrates Family Weekend 2022

Many students’ parents visited over the weekend. (Courtesy of Twitter)

Fordham’s Family Weekend was held from Sept. 30 to Oct. 2. For many dorming students, it was their first reunion with their families since they moved in to their dorms in August. It also served as an opportunity for many parents to meet newly elected Fordham president, Tania Tetlow.

The weekend was planned through a collaboration between The Office of Student Involvement (OSI) and the Campus Activity Board’s (CAB) Special Events Committee. The CAB Committee co-chairs, Kiri Kenman, FCRH ’25, and John Cugel, FCRH ’24, as well as their advisor Stephanie O’Neill, began planning the event immediately following last year’s Family Weekend.

Cugel said, “We have had a lovely blueprint to work on from past years, so we’re kind of basing it off of that. We are kind of putting our own spin on it as well. We’ve just done a lot of brainstorming to see what is fit for the university and for all of our guests as well.”

The biggest events of the weekend included Fordham’s home football game against Georgetown University, Family Weekend Mass, NYC Style Brunch and various performances by Fordham student-led groups.

Cugel said he was most looking forward to the New York City Style Brunch in the Great Hall in the new student center, “We are looking forward to incorporating the new student center into our Family Weekend.”

Many students were equally as excited for the weekend. Alyssa Campbell, FCRH ’25, said, “I am definitely excited to have my parents come spend the weekend at Fordham. I’m hoping it doesn’t rain too much so we can enjoy the football game.”

Family Weekend kicked off on Friday with a Welcome Reception on Keating steps. Families, students and university staff gathered and mingled while refreshments were provided. Maroon Mainstage, a recital that included various Fordham performing groups, took place immediately afterwards. Saturday morning opened with President Tetlow’s Welcome Address, during which she greeted families and welcomed them to campus. Parents were then invited to attend a lecture entitled “Parents University: A Classroom Experience.”

The rain held off for most of the day, allowing families to attend the football game against Georgetown University, in which Fordham defeated Georgetown 59-38. The annual Family Weekend Mass at the University Church was held on Saturday and both Fordham families and staff attended.

The day concluded with a special Family Weekend round of one of CAB’s popular bingo games, during which families were given the chance to win prizes.

Sunday’s planned events included the NYC Style Brunch and a campus walking tour led by Robert Reilly, FCRH ’72; Fordham Law ’75.

The weekend was a chance for Fordham students to show their families around the campus.

Cugel said, “We really hope to give [Fordham families] somewhat of a Fordham experience while they are here for the weekend. We want to show them what the Fordham community is like and what we have to offer.”

He added, “It gives students a major opportunity to show their families where they live, where they go to school and what their lives are now that they are not living at home anymore. We also want to make it special for their families because families want to make sure their kids are happy and safe, receiving a great education and living in a great community. We want to show Fordham’s best side of that.”