Hurricane Fiona Causes Damage in Caribbean, US and Canada

Hurricane Fiona devastated the Caribbean and Eastern Canada. (Courtesy of Twitter)

Hurricane season has been in full swing the past few weeks, doing significant damage to a multitude of areas in the southern United States, the Caribbean and reaching up to Canada.

Typically, hurricane season in the Atlantic occurs from June 1 to Nov. 30, as listed by the National Hurricane Center. The website further explains that an average hurricane season consists of 14 named storms, five hurricanes and three major hurricanes. The first named storm typically forms in late June, the first hurricane in mid-August and the first of the major hurricanes later in August or early September.

The 2022 hurricane season seemed to be rather calm until Hurricane Fiona began on Sept. 13. Fiona continued for 11 days before dissipating on Sept. 24. As of Sept. 30, CNN has reported at least twenty five casualties across Guadeloupe, Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic. CNN reported that this devastating category 4 hurricane left more than a million people in Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic without power or running water.

This was not the end of the damage that Hurricane Fiona did. The storm then moved and hit Nova Scotia and other regions of Atlantic Canada, as was predicted in the CNN article.

After Fiona hit five provinces of Canada, the BBC released information about the storm including satellite images of the destruction.

These confirmed the experts’ predictions in CNN that the storm is historic for Canada. The damage included the loss of a popular landmark: Prince Edward Island, The Teacup. This rock formation in the shape of an antique teacup was washed away by the storm. The BBC also reported at least two deaths and one missing person in the wake of the hurricane.

In the aftermath, as millions struggle to recover from their hurricane-related losses, many Fordham community members expressed interest in helping. Campus Ministry sent out a message reminding all members of the community that Puerto Rico still hasn’t fully recovered from Hurricane Maria five years ago when they were hit with this destruction, and that they are still in need of support.

The first support Campus Ministry offered was directed toward students who call Puerto Rico or the Dominican Republic home or have family that does.

They suggested that those who are struggling with grief or anxiety regarding these damages reach out to them, Counseling and Psychological Services or University Health Services.

Campus Ministry encouraged members of the community to keep those affected by the hurricane in their prayers. Additionally, these donations collected during Sunday masses are being contributed to charities that are working in response to the disaster. However, for those who wish to make independent donations, Campus Ministry provided a list of organizations which are responding to Hurricane Fiona, which includes Catholic Charities and The Hispanic Federation.

El Grito De Lares, a club on campus that honors the Hispanic community, heritage and culture on campus, has made a goal of ensuring “that everyone can find a place to call home,” according to President Maya Dominguez, FCRH ’23. Dominguez said El Grito De Lares wants its members to know that the club has their back, especially in this time of crisis.

Dominguez also explained that spreading awareness is a crucial step in providing relief because it gives more people the opportunity to help in whatever ways they may be able, whether that be donating, volunteering or continuing the spread of information.

“Students should take the initiative to help because as students we have the chance to better the world. When taking initiative, we can better the world and sometimes be the source through which someone else is also able to better the world,” said Dominguez.