Campus Ministry Hosts Clothing Drive for Asylum Seekers Coming to New York

Campus Ministry is hosting a clothing drive to support migrants brought to New York City from the U.S. border with Mexico. (Courtesy of Pia Fischetti/The Fordham Ram)

Campus Ministry is hosting a clothing drive to support migrants brought to New York City from the U.S. border with Mexico.
Since April, more than 17,000 migrants have been bussed to New York without coordination or notice.

These migrants seek asylum in the United States from Venezuela, Cuba and Nicaragua.

Texas Mayor Greg Abbott has been sending migrants to major Democratic-run cities, such as New York, Chicago and Washington D.C., to bring attention to the number of migrants arriving in southern states.

Southern governors are highlighting the issue of migration at the southern border as midterm elections are approaching.

Ron DeSantis, the governor of Florida, and Arizona Governor Doug Ducey, have also accelerated this initiative. Many have been sent to these cities despite requesting to go to other areas of the country or having family elsewhere.

Due to the influx in demand for housing, accommodation, healthcare and other assistance, Mayor Eric Adams has declared a state of emergency to open relief centers quickly. In a press conference on Oct. 7, 2022, Adams described the overflow as “a humanitarian crisis that started with violence and instability in South America and is accelerated by American political dynamics.”

Jairo Guzman of the Mexican Coalition reached out to Campus Ministry this summer to ask for toiletries and clothing for migrants who had arrived from Texas with nothing but their clothes.

To address the immediate needs of the migrants, Campus Ministry is encouraging the Fordham community  to volunteer with Team TLC NYC, an organization that provides basic needs and support to asylum seekers and immigrants, to greet new arrivals and distribute necessities.

Additionally, they ask for donations of highly requested items by new arrivals such as new socks, underwear and deodorant for men, women and children.

Donations will be collected in Campus Ministry offices LL217 and McShane 215.

The clothing items and toiletries obtained from the drive will be sent to the TEAM TLC NYC storage area in the Port Authority, where they will be distributed to migrants as they arrive in New York City.

Students can also volunteer with the Mexican Coalition by donating to their Amazon wishlist.

Additionally, volunteers are needed for translational services to teach ESL and help with citizenship classes at the Mexican Coalition Welcome Center.

The Pedro Arrupe Volunteers at Fordham recently hosted a program in which students used donations to prepare welcome kits and sort clothing.
Volunteers collaborated with Mujeres Latinas at Our Lady of Mercy Church and collected donations.

“This crisis is beyond the capacity for just the city of NY to act,” said Gil Severiano, director of Campus Ministry operations, budget and community engagement.

“We are called to come forward at a time of need and provide whatever relief and support we can to our new neighbors.  This is what it means to be men and women for and with others,” explains Severiano.