Men’s Basketball Lands Jahmere Tripp

Head coach Keith Urgo has his second recruit in the 2023 class, continuing Fordham’s local recruiting trail. (Courtesy of Twitter)

As the early recruiting window gains more momentum, Fordham Men’s Basketball has landed their second recruit of the 2023 high school class in Jahmere Tripp. He chose Fordham over the likes of Louisiana State University, Saint Louis University, the University of Massachusetts, Pennsylvania State University, the University of Rhode Island and Saint Peter’s University. He attends Our Savior Lutheran High School in the Bronx, where he will play his final high school season before attending Fordham. 

“The energy of the young coaches, staying home and just the trust coach [Keith] Urgo has in me will allow me to get where I want to be,” said Tripp via zagsblog.com.

A 6’5” combo wing from Brooklyn, Tripp has an array of skills most college coaches look for in today’s game. It starts on the defensive end. His height is ideal as someone who can guard multiple positions, and weighing north of 200 pounds also helps him to hold things down against stronger players.

Offensively, he plays point-forward: a tall guard who can handle the ball and create opportunities for himself and others. Given this is Darius Qiusenberry’s final college season, Fordham will need to add more perimeter creation at the guard position. 

Rated a three star prospect by recruiting services, Tripp played Amateur Athletic Union (AAU) hoops with the New York Lightning on Nike’s Elite Youth Basketball League (EYBL). The EYBL is considered one of the toughest AAU circuits in the country for high school prospects to get noticed and test their skills.

Program director Shandue McNeil spoke highly about Tripp’s skillset following his commitment on Tuesday.

“Jahmere possesses a blend of power and finesse,” added McNeil, via zagsblog.com. “He poses a match-up problem. His versatility allows him to play multiple positions on offense and guard multiple positions on defense.” 

The Rams are going back to the successful ways of old with recruiting local talent, a tremendous boost for a program in a rebuild phase. Tripp joins Alex Bates in Fordham’s 2023 recruiting class that has garnered positive attention under Urgo with recruiting, especially in the Metropolitan area.