Swimming and Diving Faces Off Against Georgetown

The Fordham Women’s Swim and Dive team dominated Georgetown. (Courtesy of Fordham Athletics)

The Fordham Swimming and Diving team faced off at home this weekend against Georgetown University, finishing with a split meet. The women’s team continues to cruise past their opponents, winning by a massive margin of 196-104. After four meets, the women’s team remains undefeated and hopes to keep their momentum going heading into the Bucknell Invitational in two weeks. Unfortunately, the men’s team had different results. With a close loss of 159-131, the men have lost their first meet of the season, falling to 3-1 overall.

The domination on the women’s side was evident throughout the whole meet. While securing the blow-out win, seven different members of the team won multiple events. The team also won an impressive 13 different events throughout the meet. This is reminiscent of the previous meets this season, as no opponent as of yet has been able to make it competitive enough for this Fordham women’s team.
Sophomores Leire Martin and Jessica Zebrowski had standout performances overall for the day. Martin contributed to three winning events while Zebrowski was a part of an astounding four different winning events. Martin brought home first in both the 100 and 200 backstroke events, with times of 57.33 and 2:03.17, respectively.

Zebrowski won both butterfly events, finishing with a time of 56.27 in the 100 and 2:04.59 in the 200. Martin and Zebrowski were joined by fellow sophomores Emma Shaughnessy and Zoei Howard in the winning 200 medley team, which clocked in a time of 1:44.58.

Zebrowski then took her talents to the 400 freestyle relay. Along with Howard, senior Alison Lin and graduate student Megan Morris, the women’s team captured a win in the relay with a time of 3:32.28.
Shaughnessy took the top spot in the 100 breaststroke with a time of 1:03.50. In the 100 freestyle, Howard won with a time of 53.19. Additionally, Lin was able to take her second win of the day in the 200 freestyle event with a time of 1:54.31.

The final multi-event athletes for the day were sophomore Ainhoa Martin and graduate student Millie Haffety. Haffety took first place in both diving events, scoring 273.68 in the one-meter and 311.25 in the three-meter. In adition, Martin won both the 200 breaststroke and 200 individual medley with times of 2:16.17 and 2:06.60.

Despite strong performances by several swimmers, the men’s team was not able to duplicate the women’s success and came up just short against Georgetown. Overall, the team was able to take first place in seven different events. Freshman Christian Taylor was the star of the day, helping the team secure victory in four events.

Individually, Taylor won both the 100 and 200 backstroke events with respective times of 49.32 and 1:51.55. Taylor was also on both the winning 200 medley relay and 400 freestyle relay. Accompanied by graduate student Paris Raptis, sophomore Vitalis Onu and sophomore Alexander Shah, the team won the 200 medley relay with a time of 1:31.21. Shah and Onu also joined Taylor in the winning 400 freestyle relay with junior Noah Altoff. The winning time was 3:03.97.
Raptis continued his terrific season with individual wins in two other events. For the 100 and 200 butterfly events, he finished first with times of 48.97 and 1:49.67, respectively.
Alex Wilhelm also recorded a win for the Rams, finishing with a time of 46.95 seconds in the 100 freestyle.

Fordham will compete next in the Bucknell Invitational on Nov. 18-20. After Bucknell, the Rams break until January, when they will have four more meets before finishing the season at the Atlantic 10 Championship. While the women will look to continue their hot streak at Bucknell, the men will look to bounce back and shake off this loss.