Squash Ends Season at CSA Championships

Squash took a nice leap this season, finishing the year 20-11. (Courtesy of Fordham Athletics)

It is the end of the road for Fordham Squash as they conclude their winning 2022-23 season in Philadelphia at the CSA Individual and Doubles Championships.

This event included both a singles performance from freshman Nicholas Gilman and two doubles performances from freshman Jack Stanley and sophomore Bennett Van Liew, and the mixed doubles pair of sophomore Sofia Arseniev and junior Henry Frawley.

Gilman went into the singles play as the 16 seed, starting off his play against number one seeded Joachim Chuah from Trinity College. He went on to drop the match in three games, 11-1, 11-3 and 11-5.

His run wasn’t over yet as Gilman fell into the consolation bracket and played United States Naval Academy’s Matthew Wang, who bested Gilman in three games, 11-6, 11-5 and 11-1.

Over in the doubles categories, Stanley and Van Liew also had difficulties, dropping their round of 32 match 11-1, 11-2 and 11-2 to Western Ontario University’s Griffin Manley and Dylan Deverill.

The group with the most success at the CSA’s came in the mixed doubles pairs with Arseniev and Frawley advancing to the round of 16, winning their match on Friday, 11-4, 11-3 and 11-5.

They would go on to drop their match on Saturday, 11-7, 11-4 and 11-6, eliminating them from the rest of competition.

What may have not been the most ideal ending to a great season, the Rams have greatly improved upon what they wanted to accomplish last season after going 9-15 in 2021-22.

This year, the Rams dazzled at home, going 13-3, and starting off the season strong with a five-game win streak, their highest of the season.

The team will stay relatively the same going into next season as the team only has two seniors, Caleb Schumacher and Justin George. Hopefully, these Rams can improve their record even more than a solid 20-11 finish.