The Fordham Ram

Comments (4)

All The Fordham Ram Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• J

JamesMar 8, 2014 at 9:24 pm

If this is a reference to the jamnesty event that was cancelled for Sunday night, may I say the commentators and the article author are uninformed of the full details. Organizers were informed Monday Jamnesty would not be occurring. So while I agree their needs to be more performance spaces on campus, I disagree entirely with the premise of this article, which is uninformed and includes inaccurate information. I will be writing a letter to the editor to correct the numerous mistakes found within.

Reply
  • A

arts advocateMar 7, 2014 at 12:11 pm

I think you’ve hit on something really important, which is that there aren’t enough venues for Rose Hill’s highly underestimated arts scene. Fordham Experimental Theatre, for instance, pulls off great shows despite having to work with a closet of a Blackbox theater: it’s a great space that’s full of history, but it is TINY. And it really does limit the type of shows that can happen.

The only real performance venues on campus are either not true performance spaces (i.e. the Blackbox) or ancient (i.e. Collins Auditorium). Fordham should recognize that Rose Hill is even more prolific in student-run theater than LC, and provide better facilities for those productions or, in the case of Collins, a bit of money for renovation. There are a passionate performers here who have a lot to offer–the FET show that won awards at the NY International Fringe Festival this past summer is a great example. The arts can look really good for the school. Yet we can barely have three theater groups on one campus because of the lack of artistic outlets, and I haven’t even mentioned the many a cappella groups, dance groups, and bands that live here. It’s a damn shame.

Reply
  • A

aerkerMar 6, 2014 at 9:15 pm

One thing that could help Fordham change its bullshit and stay honest with its actions is getting that anonymous source of yours to come forward (or at least let you name them). I called Fordham Security that night to confirm the show’s cancellation and get an idea of where the pressure was coming from. It was about 6 or 7PM on Friday. Both the woman I spoke with and her supervisor said that they had not received any instruction to shut down the event. In fact, I was the first person they had heard anything about it from…at 6PM the night of the event. If it’s Fordham’s fault and Frank has nothing to do with what happened that night, it goes higher than security and it’s real shady.

Reply
  • A

Alex ErkerMar 6, 2014 at 9:14 pm

Reply
Activate Search
Ballroom, Ave of Artistry, Is Another Road Blocked