Softball Wins Three in Hawaii at Rainbow Wahine Classic

Fordham Softball competed against some tough competition in Hawaii as they gear up for Atlantic 10 play. (Courtesy of Fordham Athletics)

Fordham Softball took their talents to Honolulu beginning on March 9 for the three-day Rainbow Wahine Classic. The Rams faced off against Niagara University, Iowa State University and the University of Hawaii for a total of five games, ultimately heading home with three wins under their belt. After, Fordham returned to the Bronx for their home opener against St. John’s University.

Fordham entered Hawaii with over a week of rest in their system following three losses at the Winthrop Garnet & Gold Tournament in the final days of February. Looking for some momentum after what has been an uneven beginning to the season, the Rainbow Wahine Classic came at a perfect time for these Rams seeking to right the ship.

The action began in a matchup against Niagara, with the Rams walking away victorious by a 7-2 score. Freshman Eva Koratsis delivered the keynote early in this one, launching a grand slam in the first inning to give the Rams a 4-1 lead. They didn’t look back from there, as senior Devon Miller led the way in the circle with a complete game. She limited the damage all day, stranding nine Niagara runners on the base path.

A doubleheader came the following day for the Rams, starting off with a showdown against Iowa State. The Cyclones ultimately proved to be a major challenge for the Rams. Fordham was no-hit and shutout against Iowa State, falling by a score of 3-0. Two Cyclone pitchers combined for the no-no with Saya Swain tossing four and two-thirds innings to start and Jaiden Ralston finishing it off. Sophomore Emilee Watkins and junior Bailey Enoch pitched valiantly, but the Rams were unable to muster any offense against Iowa State’s pitching.

Later, Fordham squared off with Hawaii in the first of two scheduled matchups over the weekend. Hawaii, led by stellar pitching from Brianna Lopez, held Fordham to just two sixth-inning runs as they topped the Rams 4-2. Fordham entered that sixth inning down 4-0, and a two-RBI double from sophomore Sydney Wells got them within striking distance.

But Lopez was able to tame Fordham’s rally, shutting the door in the seventh inning with the tying run at the plate. She finished the game with 10 strikeouts of Fordham hitters.

After two straight losses, Fordham needed to rebound in another doubleheader the following day. The Rams squared off with two opponents they had already faced: first Niagara, then another shot at Hawaii.

Fordham took advantage of their second chances, beating both Niagara and Hawaii to end the Classic with a good taste in their mouths. Against Niagara, the Rams received a stellar pitching performance from freshman Holly Beeman, who tossed a two-hit shutout to lead the Rams to a 2-0 victory.

Beeman has really made a mark as a freshman. This was her third complete game shutout of the young season, and she’s already been named Atlantic 10 Pitcher of the Week twice.

Fordham got their offense in this one courtesy of junior Bella Ayala, who drove in both of Fordham’s runs. In the sixth inning, she gave the Rams the lead with a solo homer. In the seventh, she provided some insurance with a sacrifice fly that scored freshman Kate McGuire. Behind Beeman’s pitching and Ayala’s offense, Fordham were able to secure the win.

The Rams ended their time in the Aloha State with a rematch against Hawaii, who shut-out Fordham the day before. Fordham got their revenge in a big way, winning via mercy rule 8-0 in just five innings.

The long ball was the name of the game for Fordham in this one, as the Rams got homers from Enoch, Wells and Koratsis in the victory.
Watkins and Enoch combined for the shutout, with the Rams returning home with a 3-2 record in Hawaii.

This past Saturday, the Rams finally got to the Bronx for their home opener against St. John’s. Unfortunately, St. John’s proved to be too much for the Rams, who won via mercy rule 9-0 in five innings. Fordham mustered up just three hits against Loreley Francia and Miller surrendered eight runs in the circle.

Next up, Fordham has a non-conference matchup against Iona College before gearing up for Atlantic 10 play against St. Bonaventure University.