Track and Field Kicks Off Outdoor Season

Fordham opened the outdoor season with five event wins. (Courtesy of Fordham Athletics)

After two weeks off, the Rams were back in action to get the outdoor season started at the Stony Brook Snowflake Classic on March 18. While it wasn’t quite the record-setting weekend that closed out the indoor season, Fordham returned home with five individual event wins as the road to the Atlantic 10 Championship set in May officially begins.

Three of the five event wins came on the women’s side. Graduate student Kathryn Kelly got it started with a win in the long jump, and later earned a second place finish in the 200-meter dash. Freshman Leia Ruvo and junior Skylar Harris grabbed second and third in the long jump, as Fordham claimed the top three spots.

The Rams also finished with the top two spots in the 3,000-meter run and the shot put. Sophomore Madeleine Ryan earned the event win in the 3,000-meter with junior Marin Bogulski close behind, while freshman Tanicha Saintigene and graduate student Casey Metzler took one and two in the shot put, respectively.

Four other Rams added second-place finishes. Graduate student Helen Connolly and freshman Nicole Lytle were runners up in the 800-meter and 1,500-meter events. Freshmen Kylie Ritz and Zoe Arakelian claimed second place as well, with Ritz taking it straight up in the 100-meter hurdles while Arakelian tied for second in the high jump. Senior Mary Kathryn Underwood added a top-three finish to the leger, taking third in the 800-meter.

On the men’s side, freshman Liam Volz was single handedly responsible for both of the Rams’ event wins, claiming first place in both the 100-meter and 200-meter dash. Sophomore Isaiah James earned a second-place finish in the 400-meter dash. Several other Rams joined the party as junior Thomas Lewis and freshman Trevor Rinn finished third in the 800-meter and 1,500-meter events, respectively. Freshman George Pomer had a busy day as well, finishing second in the 400-meter hurdles and third in both the long jump and the 110-meter hurdles. Finally, graduate student Zalen Nelson continues to impress, as his third-place finish in the 3,000-meter run made him the top Ram in the event.

The outdoor season continues next Saturday with both the men’s and women’s teams traveling to Lawrenceville, N.J. for the Rider 5-Way Invitational.