Softball Begins Conference Play with Series Win

Fordham Softball won their first Atlantic 10 games of the season, picking up two wins against St. Bonaventure. (Courtesy of Fordham Athletics)

Fordham Softball began their Atlantic 10 journey this past weekend with a three-game series against St. Bonaventure University at Houlihan Park. Before that, the team had a non-conference matchup on the road against Iona University last Wednesday.

Looking to enter the conference schedule on the right foot, the Rams sent junior Bailey Enoch to the circle in New Rochelle. Enoch delivered, tossing a complete game as Fordham topped Iona 2-1.

She recorded five strikeouts and allowed just one earned run on two hits, outdueling Iona’s Kara Zazzaro. Zazzaro struck out a season-high 16 batters, but Fordham’s offense was able to scratch across two runs in the fifth inning to secure the win.

With Fordham down 1-0 in that fifth inning, graduate student Julia Martine caused havoc on the base path by stealing second base. The throw down to second sailed into center field, allowing freshman Neleh Nogay to score the tying run on the throwing error. Fordham were then able to take the lead on an RBI single from sophomore Sydney Wells. The Rams hung on for the tight 2-1 win, with Enoch shutting the door in the bottom of the seventh despite Iona getting the tying and winning runs on base.

Heading into conference play with a big win under their belts, the Rams took on St. Bonaventure University in a three-game set beginning on Saturday. In game one against the Bonnies, Fordham struggled to get their offense going early and fell behind 5-0 by the top of the fourth inning.

Enoch started in the circle again from the Rams but wasn’t as effective as she was against Iona. However, despite giving up five runs, she only allowed one earned run with Fordham committing two key errors in the top of the fourth that caused four runs to cross for the Bonnies.

Down 5-0, the Rams scratched across three runs in the fifth and sixth innings to get within two. With their backs against the wall in the bottom of the seventh, Enoch doubled to get the tying run to the plate. Fordham were unable to rally, and Iona took home the game one victory by a score of 5-3.

The series concluded on Sunday with the Rams and the Bonnies playing a doubleheader. After being held to just five runs in their previous three games, Fordham’s offense woke up in a big way in game two of the series. The Rams struck early and often, defeating the Bonnies 10-2 in five innings.

Fordham recorded 12 hits and received multi-hit games from four players: senior Michaela Carter, Wells, freshman Eva Koratisis and graduate student Sarah Taffet. Carter recorded two RBIs, including an RBI single in the fifth inning that put the cherry on top of Fordham’s win.

Freshman Holly Beeman was solid on the mound once again, as she recorded her fourth win of the season while limiting the St. Bonaventure offense to two runs on four hits. Her team-leading ERA now sits at 1.73.

Looking for the series win in game three, Fordham got another big pitching performance in the circle. This time, it was senior Devon Miller setting the tone. She tossed a complete game, surrendering one earned run while keeping the Bonnies offense at bay with only four hits.

The Fordham offense once again got off to a fast start, with Carter scoring on an Enoch sacrifice fly to deliver Fordham an early 1-0 lead in the first. Miller helped her own cause in the second with a solo dinger, while Martine furthered the Fordham advantage with an RBI double third. Carey then made it 4-0 Fordham in the sixth with a home run to center.

Up 4-0 heading into the seventh and final inning, St. Bonaventure attempted to rally against Miller. They scratched across two runs in the top of the seventh, but Miller was able to get Olivia Moon and Abby Suhr to fly out to shut the door and secure the series win for Fordham.

Out-of-conference play has been uneven for the Rams, but they started A-10 play on the perfect note. Fordham’s performance against the Bonnies will no doubt give them confidence as the conference schedule kicks into gear. Fordham were A-10 champions last year, and much of this group knows what it takes to be successful in conference play.

Before more A-10 action against George Mason University this weekend, Fordham will host Drexel University for a doubleheader on Wednesday The Rams will hope to continue their winning ways this coming week.