The Fordham Ram

Comments (4)

All The Fordham Ram Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• B

Brien SchliepNov 6, 2015 at 7:38 pm

As her parents, we are proud that our daughter has the intellect and courage to address an important issue facing women in our society. In your narrow minded response you are quick to point out that Margaret Sanger espoused views that, today, would be considered controversial or inappropriate. It is interesting that you point out Sanger’s positions from the early 20th century implying that the Planned Parenthood organization of today holds the same views. It is akin to comparing the Catholic churches position on Protestantism or Islam from the same time period to today, which is markedly different (otherwise know as “evolved”). Yes, the Catholic church is against abortion, however the percentage of lay Catholics who are pro-life and those who are pro-choice are about even in the United States. Since the Jesuit community prides itself on intellectual rigor and debate, I would hope that all Fordham students, faculty, and alumni would encourage the type of discussion our daughter has raised in her opinion piece. For reference, my wife and I were raised in the Catholic faith and attended parochial grammar school, high school, and I attended Villanova University. We are very aware of the churches teaching and positions. We see hope in our current Pope for an increase in the Churches ability to be introspective and less judgmental. You are the one who should be ashamed for passing judgement on Theresa because her views differ from yours.

Reply
  • K

KateNov 6, 2015 at 1:12 am

Eugene White = Fordham Fail

Reply
  • E

Eugene A. WhiteOct 29, 2015 at 12:26 pm

As a Fordham Alumni in high standing, I am appalled by your column and the defense of Planned Parenthood. You overlook the abortion culture which it promotes, that I might remind you, is against Catholic teaching. Secondly, Margaret Sanger, it’s founder, was a racist and promoted the PP mantra to eradicate “black babies”, Hello ! I am sad to think that Fordham students would hold these murderous views. You should be ashamed of yourself and likewise your parents.

Reply
    • V

VictoriaNov 5, 2015 at 9:00 pm

I am saddened that a Fordham Alumni of such “high standing” would attempt to silence any debate on the issue of Planned Parenthood in such a manner. Fordham students are not required to accept the tenants of Catholic teaching in order to attend the university, and the Fordham community should value and encourage diversity of opinion within its population. Additionally, I think you have missed the central argument of this piece- that Planned Parenthood is actually one of the most successful organizations in preventing abortions because a significant portion of its resources are directed towards contraceptives meant to prevent unintended pregnancies. You should be ashamed of your inability to entertain differing opinions and of your complete disregard for the Fordham motto “wisdom and learning.”

Reply
Activate Search
Needless Attacks on Planned Parenthood