The Fordham Ram

Comments (2)

All The Fordham Ram Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• M

MyMBADec 5, 2015 at 6:14 pm

I just read this piece and it strongly resonates with my situation. I am an MBA student and feel the university could do so much more to improve the lot of it’s students. Our career department is just advisors and recruiting is just accounting firms at best, they don’t seem to have a handle on jobs in NYC. The cost of living in the city is crazy and the high paying Wall St, consulting jobs go to Columbia and NYU MBA’s or much higher ranked program grads from outside. Fordham GSB grads get the leftover jobs at a much lower salary, even Baruch has higher starting salaries per statistics. Worse yet is that our school has 11 one year MS programs that cannibalize the core brand which is the MBA and they take jobs at a lower entry salary. The X and Y axis with a Fordham degree is crazy, X being salary and Y cost, rent eats up a huge portion of living here. For the economics of attending Fordham and living in NYC to work Fordham has to improve it’s rankings, facilities, faculty and graduate salaries and careers. Otherwise it is just a situation of one chasing one’s own tail in NYC. A Fordham undergrad can do a masters degree at a higher ranked program, ours is a terminal degree in most cases and it is sadly not improving in terms of jobs or pay out of the program. Even glorified Fordham Law is struggling to place it’s grads into jobs, it has a mediocre placement rate now as a percentage of graduates, once again NYU and Columbia own the market.

Reply
  • G

GarretDec 4, 2015 at 6:19 pm

The big problem is that the Fordham brand is the ”Jesuit” brand, from what I can tell that is the continual pumped out message to outsiders. Father McShane has been relentless in promoting the Jesuits and could care less if students even get jobs. He is clueless to the economics of living in NYC and paints us all as goodie two shoes for social causes and social justice ! The reality of it is that Fordham is crazy expensive and the brand not that well known to employers, plus what job is a liberal arts degree supposed to get ? Nationwide Fordham is unknown so it is like a trap, go here and suffer NYC cost of living, leave NYC and no one has heard of your degree granting university and think you made it up. Career services are a joke at Fordham, low level types that are just glad to have a job and the students are someone else’s concern. There is so much that could be improved at Fordham but that would require McShane getting out of the way, leadership needed ! I think Fordham is at a crossroad and if it continues on its current wayward path it will become irrelevant.

Reply
Activate Search
Updating the New York City Dream