Mimes and Mummers Thrills with “Into the Woods”

Fordham’s production of “Into the Woods” spanned from Feb. 21 through Feb. 24, and the students involved had been working hard since January. (Dylan Balsamo For The Fordham Ram)

By Katherine Timofeyev

After spending countless days and nights rehearsing since the beginning of this semester, the Fordham Mimes and Mummers finally got to showcase all of its hard work. “Into the Woods” played four nights two weeks ago in Collins Hall Auditorium and offered Fordham students free admission to the first showing.

Mimes and Mummers is one of the oldest clubs at Fordham, dating back to 1855. The club encourages students of all class years to participate in multiple shows throughout the year and allows them to pursue acting, singing and stage production as well as gain leadership experience.

Even freshmen have the opportunity not only to take part in their shows but also hold a position on the club’s board. In addition to taking the stage, students can also direct many departments backstage such as lighting, sound or costumes, and many choose to do both. No matter how a student chooses to take part in shows, each one is given an opportunity to have first-hand experience with professional equipment and practices. For each show, the club hires professional directors to work with the students.

“Into the Woods” is a musical made widely popular by the 2014 Disney film adaptation, telling the story of a baker and his wife as they travel through the woods in search of four magical items. The couple needs to obtain these items for a witch so that she may grant them a child, which they desperately desire. Along their search, they encounter many familiar fairytale characters, including Cinderella, Little Red Riding Hood, Jack and the Beanstalk and Rapunzel.

Together, these characters face various obstacles that they must overcome in order to achieve their respective fairy-tale happy endings. Fordham’s production of “Into the Woods” spanned from Feb. 21 through Feb. 24, and the students involved had been working hard since January. In just about a month and a half, they managed to put together a wonderful show that entertained an audience filled with students and parents alike.

As the show brought in a full house every night, it is safe to say it was a major success. Sitting in the audience, it was easy to feel as though you were watching the musical right on a Broadway stage. Each song was sung with a perfect balance of raw talent and thorough rehearsal. The passion and professionalism of the students was evident throughout the entire production. It was clear that they had wanted the production to feel like the real thing, while allowing graduating seniors one last show to pour their hearts into. It was both polished and intimate.

As the actors took their final bows, audience members stood and clapped in awe of the marvelous work they had just watched. For students, the show was a perfect break from midterms that surpassed all expectations. The Fordham Community should look forward to what Mimes and Mummers puts on next.