The Sex Ed We All Need

“Sex Education” features best friends Otis and Eric as they grapple with their youth. (Courtesy Of Facebook)

The new season of “Sex Education” hit Netflix just over two weeks ago and whether you binge the entire season or spread out the eight hours of watching over a week, its a must-see. The British drama depicts realistic teens’ thoughts, eliciting both laughter and tears.

The show follows 16-year-old Otis, the child of two sex and relationship therapists, on his journey as Moordale Secondary’s underground sex advisor — while he is still a virgin.

Imagine one’s surprise when the series’ opening scene features best friends Otis and Eric bike riding through rural England discussing Otis’ inability to perform sexually — not the start expected out of every Netflix original.

As the title suggests, sex is the forefront of the show’s plot. However, the show goes far deeper than the surface. The students might appear to be sex-crazed and one dimensional — Otis the weirdo, Maeve the mysterious love interest, Jean the overbearing mom and Eric the gay best friend — but their stories are far denser.

As playwright Laurie Nunn’s first screen creation, “Sex Education” positively surprised many viewers and critics. In the first season, Otis is a nerdy teenager who is unenthusiastic about sex, despite his mother’s job as a sex and relationship therapist, and her openess about all facets of sexuality. He sets up a sex counseling company with Maeve, a cool but troubled classmate, after his mother’s profession is brought to light and he unwittingly assists a school bully with his sexual anxieties. Otis and Maeve set forth to educate their fellow students about the sexual problems they are experiencing.

The second season continues to follow Otis, who is now hit with the truth and stresses of a high school romance. New students challenge the status quo at Moordale High and an assumed epidemic of STDs cause students to struggle further.

However, when the school takes action towards the parental outrage, Otis’ business and personal lives are brought under fire. The show, especially season two, touches on many difficult experiences commonly faced by teenagers.

Heroine Maeve is the embodiment of the “misunderstood teen.” Her subplot allows viewers to watch as she navigates around monetary, familial, educational and emotional hardships. While Maeve’s relationship with her family is hard, characters Otis, Eric and Jackson work through problems within their households as well.

It is obvious sex is a popular plot point in the show, but sexual identity and orientation make their presences known as well. The new season follows many characters in their journey of exploring, discovering and embracing their sexualities and identities.

“Sex Education” is an honest take on sex and teenage insecurities, as well as the idiosyncrasies that go with it — a truly refreshing approach to the typical on-screen sexual awakening and teen coming-of-age story.

While critics expressed their approval of the show, it has also found a home in the hearts of many teens and college students. It is a rare occurrence to bring up the show in conversation and find someone who has not seen it, let alone never heard of it.

Netflix and Laurie Nunn did well with this production, because while entertaining, it also offers the candid sex education many did not receive in school. From advice on STDs and sexuality to consent, Otis and his clan cover it all.

Now, if that isn’t enough to convince you to dive into the Netflix hit, maybe humor will. Otis and Eric express their anxieties in the most comedic ways. I promise if you’re not laughing at the characters, you’re laughing with them.

While the romantic relationship formed at the end of season two left some disappointed, I think it’s only an invitation to be eager for future seasons, as this show will keep you on your toes.

I’d give this Netflix original five stars out of five, but maybe I’m just another teen in need of some sex education and laughs.