Fordham Flea is the Perfect Escape from the Dorms for Fordham Students

Fordham Flea offers a colorful break from schoolwork. (Courtesy of Tess Hartzell for The Fordham Ram)

Fordham Flea is a bustling, upbeat marketplace overflowing with handcrafted clothing, jewelry, toys, beauty products and knick-knacks. Vendors grilling meat skewers, icing cupcakes and frying donuts line the back wall; a playground for the cabin-fever-struck college student! Brought to you by the creators of the Bronx Night Market, Fordham Flea is held on the last Sunday of every month (until November) in Fordham Plaza. 

Fordham Flea offers a wide variety of merchandise and food, but when you look a little closer you might find more than you anticipated among the colorful array of goodies. Behind each folding table stands — or sits — a brilliant, creative business mind with a unique story and message for its consumer. 

As we all know, the pandemic profoundly impacted the world of small businesses. Yet, as I strolled past each charismatic vendor, I would never suspect the resilience and perseverance required to maintain a business during such sudden economic and social conflict. 

Part of what makes the Bronx so special is its amalgamation of cultures and experiences. Gold-threaded, intricate and vibrant handbags recount the thrilling travels of ALC Global Wandering. The keychains, dangles and other souvenirs were either handpicked from Turkey or Thailand, or handcrafted by the vendor’s own mother. Although travels were stagnated by COVID-19, the owner is glad to “bring some culture” back into the lives of those in New York — specifically the Bronx, where she was born and raised — until she and others can continue their journeys. 

Meanwhile, peruse the handmade, colorful fans at Aya Hand Fans to bring a piece of Ghana back home with you. The business idea was conceived directly before the pandemic hit, and although the fans are sold online, there is nothing quite like seeing these gorgeous, handsewn fans up close and in person. 

Although COVID-19 forced many business owners to pivot in their plans, it actually nurtured creativity and growth in some instances. Check out Kurly’s Beauty Boutique for natural, authentic products that you can trust. This business owner’s mission began in a personal search for a simple hair commodity that she could not find on the market; her homemade hair elixir became her first product. In her case, the pandemic actually spurred the development of her business. She says her “silver lining” is that the pandemic “gave me the time to pursue what I wanted.” Now, thanks to inspiration from her son and other family members, as well as a lot of time to get creative and create a business profile, this small business owner offers a wide range of eco-friendly beauty products; including body butter, shower scrub, lip oil and scalp detox.

After being laid off from her nine-to-five after 11 years, the skilled hands behind Sabrina Santiago Indie Woodworker and Resin Artwork decided to pursue creative passions — based right out of her own garage. What initially seemed like a nightmare for her financial situation ultimately allowed this artist to flourish in her true passions. If you’re looking for the perfect gift for an artist or foodie, browse this vendor’s “functional artwork:” handcrafted charcuterie boards, resin coasters and artist palettes. 

Behind every seller and product is a much deeper motive. Enlightenment Jewel is a business that allows its owner to share a major aspect of her life with the rest of the world. A high school dropout, the seller came across meaningful crystals and stones that opened her eyes to the spiritual world. She ultimately graduated from college with a Bachelors of Science in Biochemistry. She explains her incentives for starting the business back in 2019: “I wanted to share this with people… this could really change your life.” Her “way of giving back to the community” includes offering free webinars and information about the stones that she sells and so deeply believes in.

Similarly, JBM Jewelry uses stones — each with a specific meaning — to create beautiful bracelets and necklaces. While passing by the table, you might want to test the vendor’s theory that “stones gravitate toward the person.” Something might just catch your eye, and a stone’s message may resonate with you.

Another message I found is at For the Culture NY LLC, a t-shirt design company that aims to build confidence in young people. The vendor, who is also a teacher, pushes for “empowering Latinas, and also all women.” Now that her business has begun gaining ground, this motivated the seller’s plans to create a scholarship fund here in New York City to continue supporting the Latinx community — particularly here in the Bronx.

Despite the diverse and lively array of merchandise being sold, Fordham Flea is much more than just a shopping destination: just take a moment to look around in order to stimulate all of your senses. Fordham Plaza is unrecognizable, decked out in colorful balloons, streamers and signs. The addictive smells of sweet cupcakes, spicy tacos and grilled corn waft through the air, and the lively chatter of passersby mingles with the speakers blasting upbeat, fun and well-known favorites like “September” by Earth, Wind & Fire. It is impossible not to submit to the contagious energy emitted by laughing friends and joyful families enjoying a special afternoon outing. 

Overall, Fordham Flea is undoubtedly an ideal Sunday afternoon activity to enjoy with friends — a break from the monotonous cycle of school work, clubs and meetings. However, beyond serving as a place to hang out, eat snacks and buy souvenirs, Fordham Flea offers new insight into the Bronx and the world beyond our campus. It is an invitation to share in cultures, lives, experiences and positive messages. Through supporting local businesses, we can contribute to bringing more joy and vitality to our surrounding neighborhoods, and to our own campus. In the words of JBM Jewelry: “Just breathe and keep your head up … When in doubt, just do the opposite of everyone else!”