Fordham Hosts Ceremony to Officially Dedicate New Campus Center to McShane

The+dedication+ceremony+was+held+outside+of+the+campus+center.+%28Courtesy+of+Isabel+Danzis%2F+The+Fordham+Ram%29+

The dedication ceremony was held outside of the campus center. (Courtesy of Isabel Danzis/ The Fordham Ram)

On April 28, a ceremony was held in front of the new campus center to officially dedicate the building to Rev. Joseph M. McShane, S.J., president of the university. The new McShane Campus Center was officially opened in fall 2021 and represents the first completed part of the McGinley Student Center renovation. 

David Ushery from WNBC hosted the ceremony.  Ushery opened the event by discussing his own personal connection to Fordham — his wife received her undergraduate degree from the university, and Ushery himself has received an honorary degree from the school. 

James Miracky, S.J., FCRH ’83, led a prayer in honor of both McShane and the new building. 

“May [the campus center’s] character emulate that of Father McShane himself. Making this [a] place where we can joyfully congregate and communicate, reflect and create, discuss and debate, and perhaps charm and cajole in the Irish way,” said Miracky in his address. 

Following his remarks, Bob Daleo, GSB ’72, Chair of the Board of Trustees, spoke about the dedication of the building. Daleo read a tribute to McShane from President Joe Biden. Biden praised McShane in his address, stating: 

“It is my honor to recognize your accomplishments as 32nd president of Fordham University. For nearly 19 years, you have led the university with faith, dedication, love, and through unprecedented challenges in an ever-changing world. Your strong leadership has prepared the next generation of students to succeed and inspire them to find courage, hard work and passion. I wish you all the best on your next chapter of life. May God bless you.”  

Daleo also mentioned that the Board of Trustees will be looking for another campus building to dedicate a space to Laurence J. McGinley, S.J., for whom the McShane Campus Center was formerly named. Daleo ended his address by thanking McShane for his time and guidance as “pastor-in-chief.” 

Fordham’s Board of Trustees joined McShane on stage to do the ceremonial ribbon cutting at the end of the dedication. (Courtesy of Isabel Danzis/ The Fordham Ram)

Armando Nuñez, Jr, GSB ’82, and Mary Anne Sullivan, FCRH ’73, vice-chairs of the Board of Trustees, joined Daleo on stage to unveil the new sign that marks the Rev. Joseph M. McShane, S.J. Campus Center. 

Following the sign’s unveiling, Thomas Reuter, FCRH ’22, executive president of United Student Government (USG), and Patricia Santos, FCRH ’22, vice president of the Commuting Student Association (CSA) spoke about the importance of the student center. 

Santos recounted her first day at Fordham and the importance it holds for commuter students in particular.

“To commuters, [the student center] is a place we call home,” said Santos in her address. 

Following Santos and Reuter, Michael Bloomberg, former mayor of New York City, spoke about McShane’s character, as well as their friendship. 

“I think only in New York could a Jewish guy, around the corner from a building honoring an Italian football coach, celebrate an Irish priest,” said Bloomberg in his opening remark. 

During his speech, Bloomberg recounted attending McShane’s inauguration as president of Fordham. 

“I was in the audience that day and speaking about the value of a Fordham education was Joe McShane. He said ‘we are ever searching for greater opportunities for service at the sign of the times revealed to us, and demand of us.’ Whatever his next act may be, I have no doubt that Joe will remain ever searching, as the times are too demanding and the opportunities for service as too great,” said Bloomberg. 

Following Bloomberg, McShane was presented by Ushery as the last speaker of the dedication. 

McShane spoke as the final speaker in dedication. He discussed the dedication of the building and Fordham as a university. (Courtesy of Isabel Danzis/ The Fordham Ram)

McShane opened by thanking all of the speakers. He then moved on to speak about the university as a whole. 

“It’s not about me, it’s about the university. As the board knows, I fought against [the dedication]. This is about Fordham,” said McShane regarding the sentiments presented in the dedication. 

“This is an extraordinary place, where miracles happen everyday. It’s a place where character is formed, hopes are born and talent is challenged. That is what we are about. We’re a dream machine in a certain sense, and we unleash great people on an unsuspecting world,” said McShane. 

Following McShane’s speech, Daleo, Bloomberg, leadership donors, leaders of campus center renovations, special members of the clergy, as well as student delegates from both the Rose Hill and Lincoln Center campuses and athletics, joined McShane on stage to perform the ceremonial ribbon cutting. After the ribbon cutting, the Fordham Ramblers a cappella group closed the dedication ceremony by singing the Fordham song.